Chapter 24. Tells

When Bucky stepped outside the doors into the New York night he wasn't expecting Okoye and Aneka on motorcycles waiting for him

When Bucky stepped outside the doors into the New York night he wasn't expecting Okoye and Aneka on motorcycles waiting for him.  Okoye handed him a helmet.

"Get on," she said.  "We're going to the compound for the quinjet."

"I'm doing this alone."  He glared at her.  "You're foreign nationals and will get into trouble."

"You're wasting time," replied Okoye.  "We know of a private jet that took off from Teterboro before sunset.  The owner is a shell corporation that is based in Madripoor."

With a grunt Bucky put the helmet on and mounted the motorcycle behind her.  Any thought that the two women wouldn't drive fast was banished as they took off in a roar of squealing tires.  With a kimoyo bead on a special mount on the handlebars they had a visual display of police cars, speed traps and stoppages on the roads all the way to the compound, allowing them to speed productively.  When they arrived, Bucky entered the code to get into the gate and then began the process of convincing Friday that he was Sergeant James Buchanan Barnes and had a right to override the lockdown protocol.  As they finally gained entrance, he called out to the AI.

"Friday, was the hacking into the system here neutralized?"

"Yes, Sergeant Barnes," said the female voice.  "Mr. Keener was able to successfully counteract the attempt and the facility is secure."

"Friday, remote activate the quinjet controls for Okoye to start the checklist," he requested.  "Confirm."

"General Okoye, welcome back," said the AI.  "Please confirm by voice your access code."

"Okoye1432," replied the Wakandan.  "I am no longer General Okoye.  I am part of the Midnight Angels along with Aneka, also former Dora Milaje."

"Thank you for the update," answered Friday.  "Hangar access door is unlocked, and you may begin the quinjet checklist.  Aneka, please provide voiceprint and access code originally provided as a Dora Milaje."

"I'll be in the armoury," said Bucky.  "I'll leave the door open for you."

While Aneka provided her old security information and updated it, Bucky entered the code for the security door into the armoury.  Propping it open he took two satchels down and began to fill one with his preferred weapons.  A few minutes later Aneka joined him, and her eyes glimmered at the firepower he had.

"You know we don't really need all these," she said.  "We still have our staffs."

"I know, but I would rather be over equipped than underarmed," he said.  "Plus, we may have to take people down from a distance.  Are we taking the motorcycles?"

"I think we should," she replied.  "Ours are modified for combat."

"We'll drive them around to the outer hangar door and load them on the quinjet.  I'm bringing mine as well.  Not modified for combat but she can handle it."