Chapter 3. Dinner and a Movie

Once more Bucky shaved, as his five o'clock shadow had returned with a vengeance, thanks to the regeneration effects of the serum

Once more Bucky shaved, as his five o'clock shadow had returned with a vengeance, thanks to the regeneration effects of the serum.  Hopefully, he would look clean shaven for a few hours.  Putting some aftershave balm on he then focussed on his hair, rubbing some pomade between his palms and distributing it throughout his dark hair.  He wore a long-sleeved T-shirt over a dark one with his dark wash jeans and leather jacket.  Picking up one of his trading cards he stuck it in his wallet and grabbed his gloves and motorcycle helmet.  The younger Avengers were in the common room getting ready to play video games.

"Trading cards?" he asked, before they started. 

Peter took his out of his pocket then looked at Bucky.  "What's the boy's name?  I thought I should personalize it."

"Noah, thanks," replied the older man, as Peter began signing it.

Kate and Yelena signed theirs and handed them to Bucky.  Yelena looked at him, with a sly smile.

"You have protection, Yakov?"

"Don't you start with me," replied Bucky.  "It's not that kind of date.  Her son will be there, for crying out loud."

"Kids go to bed," said the blonde Russian, eying him.  "Take something with you, just in case."

Rolling his eyes Bucky put his hand out to grab Peter's card, sticking it with the others in his wallet.  Sam, Maria, and Joaquin waved goodbye without making any smart remarks.  Outside, he mounted his motorcycle, put his helmet and gloves on, then started it up and drove out of the compound, stopping at a florist to pick up a bouquet.  Part of him hoped that Paige would appreciate the sentiment and not bring up that it was old fashioned, even if it was.  Forty minutes later he pulled up to her apartment building and parked.  At the door, he removed his helmet and one glove to text her that he was waiting.  A buzzing sound signalled the door unlocking and he pulled on it, then took the elevator to the sixth floor.  Apartment 609 was just around the corner from the elevators.  Taking a deep breath, he knocked, and it was immediately opened by a boy with dark blond hair and hazel eyes.

"Hi," said Bucky.  "You must be Noah.  I'm Bucky."

The boy's mouth hung open, and he said nothing then Paige came out of the kitchen and smiled at both of them.

"Sorry, he's a little shy, especially when he meets one of his heroes."  She noticed the flowers and her face lit up in an even bigger smile.  "You got me flowers?  You didn't have to do that but thank you."

"I'm still old fashioned enough to bring flowers on a date," replied Bucky, handing them over, noticing she didn't say the "old fashioned" words, nor did she contradict him that it was a date.

Paige leaned down and whispered in Noah's ear before she disappeared into the kitchen with the flowers. 

"Can I take your helmet?" he asked politely.