Chapter 4. A Day with the Kids

I know that Spider-Man: No Way Home removed the memory of Peter Parker from everyone's mind but in this story his identity has been restored and he openly lives as Avenger Peter Parker / Spider-Man

I know that Spider-Man: No Way Home removed the memory of Peter Parker from everyone's mind but in this story his identity has been restored and he openly lives as Avenger Peter Parker / Spider-Man.  Now that he is publicly known as one of the Avengers, he is no longer threatened by J. Jonah Jameson's rants.  He and Ned have resumed their friendship, but MJ is still considering whether to renew their relationship.

The explanation of the tax implications of clothing, as explained by Paige, is taken from an IRS guide but greatly simplified for the purpose of this story.  I have enough trouble with my own taxes.

The announcement that Bucky was going to Coney Island with the single mom and her son brought pleas of being allowed to come with them from Kate, Yelena and Peter.  All three stood in front of Bucky, looking up at him with hopeful expressions. 

"I've never been to Coney Island," said Yelena, "although I've heard of it.  In Russia they say it is symbolic of capitalistic imperialism and degradation."

"It's just fun," said Kate.  "It's cheesy, and gaudy, and a blast if you go with the right people."

"It's not up to me," stated Bucky.  "It's up to Paige if she wants the company."

"Would you ask her?" Peter was so sincere.  "I don't mind if you ditch us once we get there to be with her and her son.  It is a date, right?  It's just that we get bored here playing games waiting for the next mission.  Going there will get us out into the sunshine and fresh air.  We'll pay our own way, and it won't come from our expense account either."  Bucky looked at him, puzzled.  "I sold a photograph to a magazine.  Got paid really well for it, too."

Pulling out his cell phone Bucky dialled Paige's number and waited as it rang, turning away from the three younger people so he wouldn't have to look at their pleading faces.  He also took his phone off speaker so they wouldn't hear her.

"Hi."  Her voice sounded so good in his ear.  "You have to cancel, don't you?"

"No, nothing like that," he replied.  "I just have three young people who wish to come with us.  They'll probably ditch us once we get there.  I think they want me just for the transportation."

"No, we like Bucky," yelled Kate.  "We want to meet the woman who has his heart."

He glared at the dark-haired young woman as she grinned at him.

"Sorry, about that," he said into his phone.  "They're itching to get out of the building.  I think they all need to blow off some steam.  If you don't mind them hitching a ride with us ...."

"Sure, I don't mind," replied Paige.  "We would have met them anyway once we returned so I could look at the books, right?"

"That's true," he admitted.  "So, I'll pick you up at 10:30?"

"Sure, just text me when you get here and we'll come down," said Paige.  "See you then."

He turned back to the other three.  "Alright, you can come with us, but you better be on your best behaviour.  I'm not babysitting you once we get there.  Stay out of trouble and don't hurt anyone."