Chapter 26. Unleashed

As soon as Bucky shot Sharon everyone scrambled to get to the airstrip

As soon as Bucky shot Sharon everyone scrambled to get to the airstrip.  Aneka and Okoye came out of stealth mode to engage the armed men who streamed out of the building, as Bucky fought his way in.  The War Dogs had already pulled the netting off of their aircraft and were en route as were the non-flying Avengers as Yelena took control of the SHIELD quinjet, yelling at everyone that it would be a hot landing.  While Sam joined his Redwing unit in handling the soldiers on the airstrip, Joaquin landed beside Carter, where her assistant had torn her nano-mask off and was tending to the injured woman.

"Carter's not dead," he announced to the others.  "He shot her in the chest but away from anything vital."  He looked at the assistant.  "What was she thinking trying to fool him again with a double?  He nearly lost it with the first one.  She's lucky she's still alive."

The dark-haired woman looked up at him, debating what to say.  The truth won out.  "She was so sure he would fold," she said.  "Ross has Paige on level six.  That's where the memory machine is."  She looked at the two super soldiers.  "How did he defeat them both?"

"He was the Winter Soldier for 70 years," replied the young flyer.  "That beats all of her years with SHIELD, CIA and Power Broker, many times over."  He was fired on and shielded both of them with his wings before flying up and returning fire then landing beside her again.  "They regularly trained him against multiple adversaries, and he beat them every time."  He waved at the chaos around them.  "This is his thing and she just unleashed him."

As the other Avengers, War Dogs and SHIELD agents advanced towards the one-story building where Bucky had entered, a couple of the SHIELD agents arrived to treat Sharon.  Joaquin rejoined the fray, letting them take the two women into custody.  Flying towards Sam, he tried to update Bucky on Paige's location then received a report from Scott Lang that Bucky had removed his comms. 

"I'm still hitching a ride with him," said Scott, the sounds of fighting behind his voice.  "All I can say is he's in scary mode right now.  I think he can smell Paige's perfume because he seems to know where he's going."

"Stay with him," ordered Sam, dodging some bullets.  "If you can stop him from killing Ross, do it but be careful."

"Thanks," replied Scott, grimly.  "I'll do my best.  Maybe send someone in for backup."

Sam acknowledged that request then both he and Joaquin dive bombed a couple of men on the roof who were setting up an RPG launcher.  Hope, who had been dealing with a sniper flew over to the pair and used her lasers to fuse the controls of the weapon.  Both Grainger and Sheridan leaped up to the roof to finish off the two men and any others that were up there before they scrambled towards the stairwell that led back down into the structure. 

Inside the main floor of the building, Scott held on to where he was on Bucky's collar.  At the same time, he was trying to be careful not to touch Bucky's neck, knowing the man could easily brush him off and send him flying.  There appeared to be a considerable army inside the facility, and they all seemed to want to try their luck against Bucky both with gunfire and physically.  The vibranium arm seemed to casually deflect any bullets that came their way.  Physically, Bucky waded through the men that tried to prevent him advancing by punching, kicking, and throwing them around like they were of no consequence.   Still just along for the ride, Scott found himself wondering how long Bucky could function on pure adrenaline and anger alone, as his face seemed set to a permanent scowl while he dispatched opponent after opponent.  Scott couldn't recall if he had ever witnessed the man fighting for this long in battle and it got him thinking of how Steve Rogers had managed to fight the Winter Soldier on the helicarrier in 2014.  That encounter must have wiped both of them out, and yet Bucky still had something in him, even with a broken arm, as he had dragged Steve out of the water after, saving his life.   Several men suddenly appeared at the end of the hallway Bucky was in with a grenade launcher and aimed it at the Avenger.  Were these guys trying to take the building down?