Chapter 27. Trust

Content warning:  Emotional content exchange between two main characters

Content warning:  Emotional content exchange between two main characters.  Mild sexual content.

As soon as the others unbuckled their seatbelts and the ramp opened, Paige ran down the incline and stood outside in the heat, bent over as if she was going to be sick. Before anyone could say anything, Bucky followed her, approaching cautiously. When she heard him come near, she put her hand out to him, waving him away, as she walked in the other direction, still seeming like she was ill.

"I'm sorry, it was an impulse," he said, looking helpless. "I shouldn't have said anything, even though I've wanted to ask you for some time."

Rubbing the back of his neck he stood there a moment, wanting so badly to comfort her but knowing that she needed the time to deal with it in her own manner. As the others came down the ramp, the largest limousine anyone had ever seen pulled up and the door opened.

"How did they get here?" asked Kate, pointing to Emily, Erika, MJ and Ned as they got out of the vehicle. "It's going to be some party with all of us there."

"I think a sorcerer was involved," smiled Maria. "It's the only explanation for how fast they got here."

She looked from Kate to Bucky and Paige then to Sam, as if to ask if they should intervene. He shook his head.

"Let's give them some privacy," he said.

Thor had seen Erika and joyously lifted her up so that her face was level with his, kissing her affectionately, before lowering her.

"Your presence has pleased me," he declared. "I look forward to experiencing this Las Vegas place. I've heard many stories of it."

"I think we'll go see more family friendly stuff," said Peter. "Still not comfortable with drinking and gambling." He nudged Kate and spoke quieter. "What happened? They were good then all of a sudden Paige looked upset."

"I don't know," she answered, watching the couple as Paige walked further away, with Bucky trailing after her.

The super soldier looked back at the others seeing how they were watching him and Paige. Slowly, he approached her and this time she didn't move away. Gently, he put his hand on her shoulder.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to spring that on you like that," he murmured. "It just hit me that lots of people come to Las Vegas to get married quickly and the thought came out as a comment before I even realized how insensitive it was. You were just kidnapped, just found out Jared is dead, and had to deal with Ross threatening to kill you. I didn't mean ...."

"It's okay, or will be," answered Paige, then she turned to face him. "I do want to marry you Bucky, but it really wasn't the right time to ask me and to suggest it when Noah isn't here to be part of it ...."

He shook his head and rubbed his face before running his hands through his hair. "Of course, he has to be part of any wedding. I was so stupid."

"No, don't say that," she replied, taking his hands in hers. "It was an impulse, and it just threw me for a loop. I wasn't expecting that, not that I should ever expect a proposal, but it's been a trying time."