Snooping Around

Still humming the rhythm of the city of stars. Shaira was cleaning the counter at the café. The night with Ezra was over three days back but the song and his eyes clearly shown in Shaira's heart till now.

Why?

She didn't know but just one thing that night made her a little closer to the metaphorical image of mother she had.
She felt that she got a piece of her mother that she never had. She could not help but thank Ezra to share at least one thing about Mrs. Vanedestine with her. No doubt, she resented -no- hated her brothers but Ezra had become somewhat bearable for her.

She would never forgive him but she would be selfish enough to get as many memories of her mother as she could.

She had not gone to school for the past two days and finally, she got permission to go outside. As she had nothing better to do she decided to help at the café. It was still noon so there was no rush in the café.

She also had an appointment with Mr. Sordo which got canceled due to her being hospitalized which meant she needed to submit her week's old assignment and get free from this therapy.

She already had tons of work on her hands. She doesn't have any time to discuss her problems with a doctor. She could handle herself for god sake.

At least that's what she thought.

Picking a pen from the table stand, Shaira swiftly opened her memo pad. She had understood one thing from her conversation with Dexton that you could love anything and everything. It doesn't matter how you started doing it. The matter is you enjoy it and that's what makes the difference.

Even after knowing all the philosophy, Shaira's heart still shook with her anxiety overriding. She did not know why but this time she wanted to at least right one thing she loved without caring that it might be because of a single word- validation.

Shaira took a deep breath and wrote on the paper.

The things I liked the most:-

• Business magazines
•Violin
.
.
.
.
•coffee-which I am banned from these days:⁠'⁠(

Shaira got blank after that. After thinking for 30 minutes straight she did not get any other thing she loved doing. Maybe that's what her life is all about. Maybe that's she was called boring at school.

study

Shaira wrote abruptly. Bust as soon as she wrote it she cut it because Shaira knew she did not like studies. Yes, she scored very well in every subject but she needed to work her ass off to get the marks she achieved. She remembered the day when Dexton praised Ezra for clearing her medical examination for the doctor. His eyes alone showed that he could never be more proud than that.

Shaira wanted to have that expression for herself. She wanted to make Dexton look at her the same way. That's when she started to take exams more seriously to study late at night and learn things on her own before the teacher even started it.

But the harsh truth was that Dexton never cared enough to just look down at her report card carefully to see her performance but just signed it off for her.

The passion left but the habit did not. As Shaira relishes the feeling of always being on top of the class. She faithfully followed the routine but now with the hidden pain buried deep inside her.

All she ever wanted to a single word of appreciation but -guess what-  now she was too hurt to even understand what is appreciation without any ulterior motives.