8. Tears & Treasure

Hayley didnt know how long she stayed curled up in bed. Jackson, her Jackson was their father. He was Steffon Baratheon and they were happy and in love and got a family and her life was shit back home. But she had Hope. She had her daughter. Everything else was hell but she had Hope. 

Hayley was impulsive and tended to speak before she thought, which did get her into trouble back home. She was a highly skilled manipulator with extremely questionable morals, she had proven she was willing to do anything to get what she wants, even at the expense of others' lives. But what she wanted was always to protect her family. 

Now she got a do over family. And she couldnt drag herself out of bed to do over. To have a different kind of hope.

"Hey mum." Renly whispered as he crawled in next to her. She wrapped an arm around him and found it adorable that this man, only a handful of years older than her Hope, clung to her as though he was a tender aged child. 

"Hi honey." Hayley whispered as he wrapped his arms around her. "I read..." Hayley began as she tried to compose herself. "I read that you are the master of laws on Robert's small council."

"Yes." Renly agreed softly. She traced lines and symbols down his back as he clung to her. "You really loved father."

"I did. I do." Hayley agreed. "So you make laws?" 

"Sort of." 

"And you can't make a law that says love who you want its none of your business?" Hayley pondered. "As long as you dont hurt anyone in the process of loving another person... like breaking up marriages or families... you can put a clause in. Appease the pencil pushers and suits." 

"Pencil pusher?" Renly countered. 

"Quill pusher." Hayley altered awkwardly.

"I love you mother but you are strange at times." Renly informed her factually. 

"Yeah." Hayley agreed. "That's fair." 

+

"Mum this is Loras. Hes my squire."

"Loras." Hayley smiled back at him as she got up. "So nice to meet you. Renly told me you are a fine young man."

"Thank you my lady." Loras agreed as his gaze shifted to Renly.

"Loras would perhaps like to join us for breakfast?" Hayley offered as she pulled on a robe .

She wasnt going to get all dressed up just to eat. That was silly but Selyse and Shireen were dressed and ready and already in the banquet hall. Hayley tightened her thin robe as she got closer.

"Could have told me there was a dress code." Hayley offered leaning tiredly into Renly. 

"Mother!" Robert declared.

"Your mum is hot." Loras whispered

"Thats my mum. Dont be gross." Renly hushed him. "Plus she knows... no need to fake for her sake."

"She knows what?" Loras countered hesitantly.

"I made renly blush enough when he was showing me his books." Hayley mused. Renly went red.

"You got a titty book Renly?" Robert cackled out.

"Scandalous." Hayley agreed. "I had to confiscate it."

"I'll take it off your hands." Robert offered.

"How kind of you but I already disposed of it." Hayley lied and Loras looked to Renly.

"My mum is awesome." Renly assured him and Loras quirked a brow.

"We have to head back to the capital." Robert remarked. 

"I can stay here." Hayley offered. "Right Renly, you wouldnt mind?" 

"Stay forever!" Renly agreed. 

"Heading out today, sorry mum you are coming with me." Robert corrected. 

"Could I go too?" Shireen questioned hopefully. 

Hayley answered yes as Selyse spat no. Hayley stared back at Selyse silently. 

"It just wouldnt be right." Selyse offered. 

"What wouldnt be right?" Hayley countered. "She is my granddaughter, I want to spend more time with her"

"SHe has her studies." Selyse offered. 

"I'm sure the capital has teachers for her." Hayley countered and Stannis clenched his jaw anxiously as the women spoke at each other. 

"She needs to return home." Selyse demanded looking to Stannis for back up, he didnt give any. "Stannis." She hissed and he finally nodded. 

"We left Davos back at dragonstone and I know you were teaching him." Stannis offered. "He never learned to read." Stannis added looking to Hayley. "Shireen is an excellent teacher."

"Thats so lovely." Hayley declared. "Smart girl like your father, clearly."

+

"What is that?"

"Found it in the woods." Ned remarked. "It's beautiful i dont know how it got there." He stared down at the crescent amulet, as he put it in a box for safe keeping. 

"Pretty." Sansa reached out for it, she always like the shiny things. 

"Not for you." Ned corrected gently as he pulled it out of reach. 

"For mother?" Sansa pondered. "How romantic!" 

"No... Just found it in the woods. I want to find the owner." Ned corrected. 

"Lost in the woods, seems like a good gift for mother." Sansa corrected as she headed off. 

"But something about it seems familiar

"But something about it seems familiar." Ned remarked as he stared down at it. Jon couldnt help but think maybe it was his mothers necklace.  Catelyn had the same thought and snatched the box away from him sealing it shut but it was like the necklace wanted to be with Ned and it slipped landing in his hand as Catelyn marched away. Ned fisted it gently as he put it back in his pocket. Jon watched him curiously.

"Best not tell her about this." Ned offered.

"Of course lord stark." Jon agreed.