20. Never Know

"I think I forgot my way back." Hayley offered innocently. 

"Then let me show you back." Ned agreed as they night was coming to an end. "Never know when you might need someone to cut you out of your dress." He added and it was more of a whisper, a rasp, if she were anyone else she wouldnt have heard it. 

"Never know." Hayley agreed.  Ned opened and closed his mouth trying to hide his blush. 

"I dont know if I told you but you look beautiful." Ned remarked after a silent moment. 

"I love to hear it, helps boost my ego." Hayley teased. 

"You are so beautiful." Ned repeated. "And this unfortunately is your chambers." Hayley glanced back at the door unmoving. 

"Oh, this door..." Hayley nodded leaning back against the wall, his eyes grazed her figure in her dress once more before meeting her eyes. 

So much he wanted to say but not a damn thing came out. Then he heard his name being shrieked out down the halls. Hayley flinched at the noise. 

'Ned! Ned!' Catelyn hissed running in towards him 'excuse me I need to speak with my husband. Privately.'

'Excuse us Hayley,'' ned gave her an apologetic smile. "Please let me know if you need anything."

"I will." Hayley agreed. The way Catelyn said husband so possessively made Hayley chuckle. Ned watched her go, closing the door behind her, he stared at the spot she stood for a moment before Catelyn pulled him away.

Hayley looked too damn good to put this night to bed though. She peered out the window only to see Jon training again. She pulled open the wardrobe and changed out of her sexy but thin dress, too thin for this weather. She tugged on her boots and a heavy cloak once dressed and moved back down the halls and outside. 

"I will refuse him," Ned said as he turned back to her. His eyes were haunted, his voice thick with doubt. Catelyn stared back at him, she wanted him to be confident in that decision but he wasnt. She also wanted him to be the second in command. Wanted that in with the king and queen. It would make them royalty adjacent. 

"You cannot. You must not." Catelyn declared. Their status would rise and that was what was most important. 

"My duties are here in the north. I have no wish to be Robert's Hand." Saying out loud was a complete lie and Catelyn knew it. 

"He will not understand that. He is a king now, and kings are not like other men. If you refuse to serve him, he will wonder why, and sooner or later he will begin to suspect that you oppose him. Can't you see the danger that would put us in?" Catelyn countered. Both not understanding that they wanted this more than either would truly admit. Ned wanted to be hand, wanted to be gone. But Ned shook his head, refusing to believe that Robert would think he was up to something if he refused.

 "Robert would never harm me or any of mine. We were closer than brothers. He loves me. If I refuse him, he will roar and curse and bluster, and in a week we will laugh about it together. I know the man!" Ned corrected but damn if he didnt want to go. To be that person that truly ruled. 

 "You knew the man," Catelyn corrected. "The king is a stranger to you." Catelyn remembered when the boys came back they saw a dead direwolf and it in was the broken antler lodged deep in her throat. She had to make him see, believe it was a warning from the Gods themselves. Baratheons were stags, Starks wolves. It was a sign.

 "Pride is everything to a king, my lord." Catelyn began, Ned knew that when she broke out the titles she was really wanting her way.  "Robert came all this way to see you, to bring you these great honors, you cannot throw them back in his face."

 "Honors?" Ned laughed bitterly. 

"In his eyes, yes," she said.

 "And in yours?"

 "And in mine," she blazed, angry now. Why couldn't he see? "He offers his own son in marriage to our daughter, what else would you call that? Sansa might someday be queen. Her sons could rule from the Wall to the mountains of Dorne. What is so wrong with that?" Catelyn spat back. 

 "Gods, Catelyn, Sansa is only 13," Ned remarked. "And Joffrey ... Joffrey is ..."

 "... crown prince, and heir to the Iron Throne." Catelyn finished for him.  "And I was only twelve when my father promised me to your brother Brandon." 

That brought a bitter taste to Ned's mouth.

 "Brandon. Yes. Brandon would know what to do. He always did. It was all meant for Brandon. You, Winterfell, everything. He was born to be a King's Hand and a father to queens. I never asked for this cup to pass to me." Ned remarked. 

Brandon the warrior, the good son, the fierce son. Catelyn was happy to marry Brandon, Ned was just a secondary thought. Well Brandon is dead I guess I take Ned. Catelyn had been smitten with Brandon. He dueled against Petyr, her own fathers ward because Petyr was in love. But Catelyn was head over heels in love with Brandon stark at first sight. She had to admit she never had that same feeling with Ned. She did love him but now he could be hand of the king and that was something to really be proud of. 

+

"Dont tell me they kicked you out again." Hayley declared. 

"No, I just needed to clear my head." Jon answered. 

"I find hitting things works for me too." Hayley agreed. Jon chuckled as she moved to the swords. "You know how much I miss normal jackets Jon? A lot." She answered immediately. "Like hats and gloves and scarves, those stupid infinity scarves that I choked myself on when I was in a hurry, were damn warm."

"Where are you from again?" 

"Everywhere." Hayley offered. "You have never heard of it." Jon stared back at her as she picked up a blade. "New Orleans most recently.'' A smile curved her lips. "See, hate to say I told you so..."

"I have a feeling you love to say I told you so." Jon corrected. Hayley laughed out nodding. 

"I do." She agreed. "You know my daughter was about your age." Hayley remarked. 

"Yeah?"  Jon questioned. 

"A bit younger but yeah..." Hayley agreed. 

"And what about your parents?" 

"I was abandoned as a baby." Hayley remarked. 

"I'm sorry." Jon offered softly. 

"Did you abandon me in a realm you have never heard of before?" Hayley mused, Jon met her sassy gaze. "It was a long time ago. I never would have become the person you see right here in front of you if I had that loving family BS that I tried hard to give my Hope." 

"I'm sorry she's gone." Jon remarked. 

"You are a good kid, Jon. I wish Hope was dating a guy like you instead of the asshole that's mom got me killed." Hayley informed him seriously.