16. Baby, It's Cold Outside

Drama Queen // Otto Hightower out now!

Hayley was fashionable late because she remembered that she hated feasts. Her hand went to her neck. She had her rings, daylight and moonlight but Hope had her necklace. Family heirloom and yet now among this new family she wanted that piece of jewelry, that piece of Hope that she could touch. 

She wasnt paying attention as she headed to the banquet hall and bumped right into Ned when she turned the corner. 

"Sorry." Ned remarked, the necklace he found slipped from his grasp and he knelt before her, picking up the necklace. Hayleys eyes focused on it. He rose up and she reached out touching the necklace.

"Where did you get that?" Hayley demanded.

"Found it. In the woods." Ned told her and he saw her breath hitch. 

"In these woods?" Hayley countered confused. When she came back, she was in kings landing, not here. Not in winterfell. Why was it here.

"Yes by the pack of direwolves." Ned agreed.

"Of course!" Hayley declared through an exasperated breath. 

"You know this necklace?" Ned questioned. "I must admit it did look familiar."

"It's mine." Hayley agreed. "It..." it was hers. If she came over it made sense that maybe other things could come to. "Mine." Hayley agreed. "I thought it was lost." 

"Then allow me to return it to its rightful owner." Ned requested and Hayley nodded. "Might I?" Hayley turned her back to him, lifting her hair, she felt his breath on her neck as he secured the clasp. 

She turned to him, her fingers touching the pendant, her eyes closed holding back a wave of emotions flooding her

"Beautiful." Ned declared and she opened her eyes meeting his gaze. 

"I was just thinking about this." Hayley remarked as her hand fell to her side. "I was just... thank you."

"Sometimes things come back to us when we need them most." Ned remarked. 

"Yeah, I think you are right." Hayley agreed. 

"Might I walk you to the feast?"  Ned requested holding out his arm for her. 

"I would like that." Hayley agreed. 

It was the fourth hour of the welcoming feast laid for the king. This party was never ending, Hayley was glad she was late. she couldnt imagine getting there on time.  The Stark children were seated with the royal children, beneath the raised platform where Ned and Catelyn hosted the king and queen and Hayley, but she didnt like the attention and avoided that platform at all cost. 

 In honor of the occasion, Ned permitted each child a glass of wine, but no more than that. Hayley chuckled when Robb finished his glass and looked longingly at her drink. 

"One glass, how old are you?" Hayley questioned. Robb was in grey wool trimmed with white.

"17 my lady." Robb answered. 

"God, I was drinking bottles of whiskey with questionable boyfriends by 15." Hayley remarked. "You can at least have another glass." Robb nodded as she poured him another. 

"Father will be mad." Sansa warned. 

"Then I will talk to Ned." Hayley assured. 

"Stay forever." Robb requested. 

  Mycella's hair a cascade of golden curls under a jeweled net. Hayley thought Hope would never have kept something like that in her hair at her age, hell Hayley wouldnt wear that now. Tommen ran up to Hayley though, she smiled picking him up. Robert and Ned's gaze shifted down to them as Tommen laughed out. 

 Joffrey had his sister's hair and his mother's deep green eyes. Blonde and bland Hayley thought as Joffrey strode forward like he was the best. Mycella and Tommen were adorable perfection but Hayley was just about as pleased with Cersei as she was with Joffrey. 

Hayley looked at Joffrey's pouty lips or the bored, disdainful way he looked at Winterfell's Great Hall. Hayley thought it was eerily beautiful and Joffrey didnt respect that. 

"You hungry?" Hayley questioned. Tommen nodded and she plopped him in her lap as she took a seat.  Something rubbed against her leg beneath the table. Hayley saw red eyes staring up at her. "Hungry handsome?" she asked. Hayley looked up from Ghost and to the honeyed chicken in the center of the table. 

Hayley reached out to tear off a leg, then had a better idea. She grabbed the rest of the chicken, Ned watched her curiously while TOmmen piled food onto his plate. Ned stared back at her as Hayley let the carcass slide to the floor between her legs. Ghost ripped into it in savage silence. Ned craned his neck only to see a fluffy white tail under the table. 

"Wolves are not supposed to be here." Robb whispered. 

"I didnt let him in." Hayley corrected. "Besides, who cares?" Hayley offered. "It's cold outside." she poured Robb another glass and he smiled taking a sip. "Good boy." Hayley agreed. She swallowed another gulp of wine herself and watched Ghost devour the chicken. 

"Hey, where is Jon?" Hayley questioned looking around. 

"Outside." Sansa answered. 

"Did I not just say, its cold outside?" Hayley countered. "You want me to sing it? Baby, its cold outside!" 

"He's a bastard." Sansa reminded her. Hayley didnt like her tone. 

"And a charming young man." Hayley reminded her. 

"Mother doesn like Jon." Bran answered. "Thought it would be insulting to the royals."

"I'm insulted." Hayley agreed. "I'm insulted that hes not here."  Hayley moved Tommen over as she got up. 

"Where are you going?" Arya questioned. 

"To get your brother." Hayley answered. Ghost pranced after her, his half eaten chicken hanging from his teeth. 

 "Is this one of the direwolves I've heard so much of?"  Sandor questioned as they got to the back of the hall. 

"Yes," Hayley agreed. "His name is Ghost." Sandor reached out but Ghost thought he was trying to steal his food and growled at Sandor. Hayley chuckled as sandor pulled his hand back. "I think he knows these fools call you Hound. Thinks there is competition." Hayley remarked and Sandor chuckled leaning back. "Ah, you got the good stuff over here." She reached past him her arm grazing his chest. "They just have wine up there." she took a long sip from the bottle. Sandor cocked his head as he stared back at her. 

"I can't figure you out." Sandor remarked. 

"I'm a very mysterious woman." Hayley agreed and with a wink she was off. Ghost trailing behind her.