18. Gorgeous Creature

"You know Jon... I had a bastard." Hayley remarked once they were alone and Ghost went back to his carcass. Jon stared back at her. Was this the moment she admitted what he didnt realize he so desperately wanted until the moment he met her. "it was in another life." She offered vaguely and Jon was to nervous to speak he just stared back at her. "And where I came from it wasnt as big a deal... the father was... well we had a complicated relationship. I dated his brother too that was... a story for another time." Hayley offered and Jon choked out a laugh. 

"I just mean that... Hope. Her name was Hope." Hayley told him with a thick breath in her lungs. 

"Hope." He repeated. Not him. 

"I missed out on a lot of time with her because it was too dangerous... I sent her away... well... she was sent away, stolen from me and I hated Klaus for it." Hayley whispered. 

"Klaus?"

"Her father and a pain in my ass." Hayley informed him. "But just know that no matter what these people say, no matter where your mother is or was, she loved you. It is programed in good women to love their children." 

"How do you know she was good?" Jon countered. 

"Because I met you and your father. And there is no way anyone evil could come from either of you." Hayley declared. 

"Thank you." Jon replied and she hugged him. It was awkward but she felt like she needed to. Jon smiled back at her before she hooked her arm with his and pulled him inside.

"Oh no, I can't-"

"Yeah, yeah, I dont care and Robert likes to please me. So you coming inside will please me." Hayley corrected. "I'm also fucking freezing and refuse to argue with you about this." 

+

'Pardon me,' Ned said trying to get around Jaime.

'I hear we might be neighbors soon' Jaime said blocking his way. 'I hope it's true'

'Yes the king has honored me with the offer' Ned said still trying to get around him.

'I'm sure we'll have a tournament to celebrate your new title if you accept. It would be good to have you in the field the competition has been stale,' Jaime told him

'I don't fight in tournaments' Ned informed him

'No? Getting a little old for it?' Jaime teased

'I don't fight in tournaments when I fight a man for real, I don't want him to know what I can do.' Ned told him as he saw Hayley and Jon coming inside. She ran her hands up and down her arms. He watched her sit beside Sandor picking at his plate. Jealousy filled him and he knew it shouldnt have, but it did. 

'Well said.' Jaime agreed, grinning like a fool.

'Excuse me,' ned said again walking off but Benjen grabbed his arm. 

'You at a feast -- It's like a bear in a trap.' Benjen remarked coming up to Ned he spun around.

'Benjen!' Ned declared as he hugged his brother happily. But his smile quickly fell and Benjen knew why. 'The boy I beheaded. Did you know him?' Ned questioned quietly.

'Of course I did. Just a lad. But he was tough, Ned. A true Ranger.'

'He was talking madness. Said the Walkers slaughtered his friends.' Ned told him.

'The two he was with are still missing.' Benjen remarked his gaze shifted to Hayley.

'A wildling ambush.' Ned suggested

'Maybe. Direwolves south of the wall. Talk of the Walkers." Benjen agreed. "Also that my brother might be the next Hand to the king."

"Robert asked me to come to the capitol and be hand of the king.' Ned admitted.

'Damn, my brother, moving up in the world.' Benjen mused throwing a cheery tart in his mouth. "But Winter is coming.'

'Winter is coming.' Ned agreed

'Who is that gorgeous creature?" Benjen questioned, his gaze shifting to her across the room to Hayley. 

"Royal? New royal?" Benjen ponded and it took Ned a moment to find her as she was surrounded by knights

"Hayley Baratheon." Ned offered. "The kings mother."

"The kings mother is dead and she is very much alive" Benjen corrected. 

"Yes, undead and very much alive." Ned agreed. 

'Resurrection suits her." Benjen offered. 

"It does." Ned agreed. 

"Why are they here?" Benjen mused. "Certainly could have ravened and told you to be hand of the king. Not that I'm complaining I should say hello to the Lady Baratheon after all, it is my honorable duty to present myself and my services." Ned pulled him back a step and Benjen chuckled reaching for the buffet. "Lady Baratheon needs a husband?"

"Benjen," Ned begged. 

"What? Introduce me." Benjen declared. Hayley heard them talking about her. Of course she did and the smile on her face was not for the knights flocking around her but Ned trying to get his little brother to behave. 

"Lucky for you, she is coming this way." Ned agreed. "Lady Hayley, this is my brother Benjen, please ignore every inappropriate thing that comes out of his mouth." Benjen gawked at him. 

"I'm Benjen, ranger Benjen of the nights watch." Benjen declared proudly. 

"Another thing about Hayley is that you saying all that doesnt mean anything to her, think of it as a side effect of coming back from the dead. This world and its customs are completely obscure to her." Ned added. 

"Then in that case it is customary for me to dance with you." Benjen agreed. 

"I know you are lying but I would love to dance with you." Hayley agreed and Benjen's jaw dropped as his head turned to Ned ever so slowly. 

"Wonderful, wonderful." Benjen agreed. 

"It's my hall, I think I should get the first dance." Ned added. 

"Definitely." Hayley agreed as she reached for Ned's hand. She liked the way they fit together like a puzzle. 

Ned pulled her a little closer and it was the like the rest of the feast just disappeared. Robert was busy drinking and eating and drinking some more or else he would have seen the way Ned was looking at her. But Ned didnt even care. Because how could something so bad, feel so right. 

"You are a lovely dancer." Hayley whispered her lips grazing the shell of his ear. 

"I have a lovely partner." Ned corrected. "You are making me look good." 

"You dont need any helping looking good Ned." Hayley corrected. Her hand moved to his chest and she felt his heart beat under her hand, he saw her eyes darting to his lips and for a moment he wanted to, he was going to but Rickon ran up. Hayley had one thought on her mind as she looked down at little Rickon's sweet face. 

Cockblock.