46. Stowaway

Speak Now/ Rhaegar Targaryen out now!

''Someday your husband will sit there and you will sit by his side. And one day, before too long, you will present your son to the court. All the lords of Westeros will gather here to see the little prince..." Septa Mordane told Sansa

''What if I have a girl?'' sanas countered

''Gods be good, you'll have boys and girls and plenty of them.' Septa Mordane said hopefully.

''What if I only have girls?'' Sansa asked again.

''I wouldn't worry about that.''

''Jeyne Poole's mother had five children, all of them girls.'' Sansa informed her.

''Yes, but it's highly unlikely.'' Septa Mordane informed her.

''But what if?''

'''If you only had girls, I suppose the throne would pass to Prince Joffrey's little brother.''

''And everyone would hate me.'' Sansa declared worry filled her.

''Nobody could ever hate you.''

''Joffrey does." Sansa corrected

''Nonsense. Why would you say such a thing? That business with the wolves?"

''Please shut up about it.'' Sansa spat. "If Lady Hayley wasnt there then they would be dead and I understand why arya hates me but Joffrey is my love and I couldnt stand him hating me!"

"He doesnt hate you." Sansa scoffed at that. ''Do you remember your lessons? Who built the Iron Throne?" Septa Mordane pondered.

"Aegon the Conqueror." Sansa answered but she could hear hayley and bran down the hall laughing. Jon too. It made her want to be with them. Have fun. Not be so damn proper.

''And who built the Red Keep?''

''Maegor the Cruel''.

''And how many years did it take to build...''

''My grandfather and uncle were murdered here, weren't they?" Sansa realized.

''They were killed on the orders of King Aerys, yes."

''The Mad King.'' Sansa corrected

''Commonly known as the Mad King.' she agreed

''Why were they killed?'' Sansa asked

''You should be speak to your father about these matters."

"He doesnt talk about them." Sansa corrected.

+

"I can't believe you." Catelyn hissed.

"I wanted to go too!" Rickon shouted.

"You stowed away... Gods Rickon."

"I wanted to go to the capital!" Rickon demanded.

"Keep your voice down." Catelyn hissed. "We will speak to your father and then go home."

"NO!" Rickon begged.

"No need for that, m'lady. We're to escort you to the castle."

"By whose authority?" she said. He showed her a ribbon. Catelyn felt her breath catch in her throat. The seal was a mockingbird, in grey wax.

"Im rickon. Take me to the castle!" He declared.

"Petyr," she rasped. "Do you know who I am?"

"No, m'lady," he said. "M'lord Littlefinger said only to bring you to him, and see that you were not mistreated." Catelyn nodded.

"Im rick-" catelyn hushed him.

The guard led them to a brothel of al places. Catelyn put her hand over rickons eyes as they walked.

"Where are their clothing?" Rickon questioned "do they need money for clothes? I would give them my jacket but I only have the one." Rickon declared and catelyn heard the little awes as they passed from the whores.

She sat rickon on the bed as got changed. Her fingers were awkward as she struggled to lace up her bodice and knot a drab brown cloak about her neck. How could Littlefinger have known she was here?

Were they too late, had the Lannisters reached King's Landing before her? No, if that were true, Ned would be here too, and surely he would have come to her. Surely he missed her.

He didn't.

"Come on lets explore while the youngsters are in lessons." Hayley declared. "They call it flee bottom. I dont think there are actual flees. But im hoping it going to be like Mardi Gras."

"What?" Jon laughed out.

"Basically it's acceptable to be drunk and half naked in the streets." Hayley offered. "Stick with me kid. I will corrupt you."

"I would love to be corrupted by you." Jon agreed.

"Cat," petyr said quietly as she approached rickon smiled waving back at him.

"Why have I been brought here in this fashion?" Catelyn demanded.

"The girls here need clothes." Rickon cut in. 

"You were not mistreated, I trust," Petyr countered. "I gave firm instructions." 

"Where is Lady Hayley and Bran?" Rickon questioned and Catelyn hushed him again. 

"I am not accustomed to being summoned like a serving wench," she said icily. "As a boy, you still knew the meaning of courtesy."

"I've angered you, my lady. That was never my intent." Petyr assured. 

 "How did you know I was in the city?" Catelyn sneered. 

"Can I see father now?" Rickon begged. 

 "Lord Varys knows all," Petyr countered with a sly smile. "He will be joining us shortly, but I wanted to see you alone first. It has been too long, Cat. How many years?" Catelyn ignored his familiarity. There were more important questions.

"So it was the King's Spider who found me." Catelyn demanded. 

"Spiders?" Rickon questioned confused. "Spiders are watching us, maybe I want to go home. Spiders dont survive the north."

"You don't want to call him that. He's very sensitive. Comes of being a eunuch, I imagine. Nothing happens in this city without Varys knowing. Ofttimes he knows about it before it happens. He has informants everywhere. His little birds, he calls them. One of his little birds heard about your visit. Thankfully, Varys came to me first." Petyr informed her kindly. "Didnt tell me a little Rickon was with you though."

"I'm Rickon." Rickon agreed. "Where are these spiders you speak of?" 

 "Why you?" Catelyn sneered. Petyr shrugged. 

"Why not me? I am master of coin, the king's own councilor. The other members of the council are away from court leaving only Maester Pycelle and me. I was the obvious choice. I was ever a friend to your sister Lysa, Varys knows that." Petyr remarked.

 "Does Varys know about ..." 

"Lord Varys knows everything ... except why you are here." Petyr corrected looking her over.  "Why are you here?"