45. He Belonged

"What do you think Jon?" Hayley questioned as he looked around the room. He never got a big room, Catelyn wouldnt allow it. He was kept farther away. In the servants quarters but it was a bed and warm meals and the best training he could ask for. But this room was massive, larger than Ned's own master chambers back at winterfell Jon was sure of it. He had a balcony and table, chairs and a sofa besides the giant bed against the wall. Ghost inspected everything, sniffing around the room. 

"This is... it's..." Jon didnt have the words he looked to Hayley and she offered him a smile, not knowing what this meant to him. What her kindness truly meant to him. She moved to him silently and hugged him. 

Being with the stark children gave Hayley hope for a better future. 

"Thank you, thank you." Jon whispered holding onto her. 

"I didnt do anything." Hayley corrected with a wink. "You deserve to be here, I'm just sad that Rickon couldnt come with. I know he would have had a blast too."

"He would have." Bran added as Ghost got comfortable on Jon's new bed. "Mother would have had a fit." Bran added with a laugh. "Wolves on the bed!" 

"How dare they let those beasts in." Jon chimed in. Hayley could tell Jon and Bran were close, just like Arya and Jon. Sansa seemed the odd one out. Hayley would have to work harder with Sansa. 

"I dont know about you, but I'm starving." Hayley remarked moving to the kitchen. Bran chased after her. 

Jon had never felt more out of place. He was in the castle. Where the king and queen lived, he was a bastard but Hayley linked her arm with his and suddenly he felt like he belonged for the first time in forever. He felt like he truly belonged. 

"Apple pie please chef!" Hayley declared. They startled seeing the kings mother in the kitchen. "Oh God, do these people speak a made up language I'm unaware of?" Hayley half teased. 

"Apple pie please!" Bran echoed loudly. 

"Cooking." They answered nodding to the stove. It wasnt a normal stove that Hayley was used to, not that she cooked all that much but a stone oven, she could see the flames heated the stone from below. "Lord Renly said you liked apple pie, he requested it be made upon your arrival."

"best son ever." Hayley declared as she peered in at the rising crust and bubbling goodness within.  

+

'Lord Stark.' Varys said, greeting him in the small council room.

'Lord Varys' ned greeted him. Varys clutched at neds hands

'I was very sorry to hear about the troubles you had on Kings Road, we are all praying for Prince Joffrey's full recovery.' Varys told him.

'Shame you didn't say a prayer for the butchers son,' Ned remarked, everyone had thought he was dead. Not a soul knew of what Hayley did and she intended to keep it that way. She had sent the boys father off as well and hoped that when they got to winterfell or wherever they ended up they wouldnt want to head to the capital ever again.  'Renly you are looking well, your friend Ser Loras greeted us,' Ned remarked.

'Loras is a good pal, adores mum but most seem to." Renly agreed. "But you lord Stark, you are looking tired, you spent a long time on the road.' Renly remarked.

'But then we have a kingdom to look after.' Ned added. Ned looked around the group. Then Petyr stepped forward. 'I hope to meet you for some time Lord Baelish,.' Ned said hesitantly.

'No doubt lady Catelyn has mentioned me.' Petyr said happily.

'She has lord Baelish I understand you knew my brother Brandon as well.' Ned said slightly smug as he looked Petyr over. 

'All too well, I still carry a token of his esteem from stomach to collarbone.' Petyr traced up his chest.

'Perhaps you shouldn't have chosen my brother to duel with.' Ned remarked

'The man that I chose was a worthy opponent for the woman I was fighting for. I'm sure you would agree?' Ned just looked over at Petyr with distaste. He did not agree. Petyr could have Catelyn for Ned and her were opposites in every way and Ned quite could compare to the image of Brandon, Neds brother, in catelyns mind. 

'I hungrily beg your pardon,' Maester Pycelle said

'grand Maester,' ned said looking to the man.

'How many years has it been? You were a young man.' Pycelle noted.

'And you served another king,' Ned reminded him

'Oh how forgetful of me,' he reached into his pocket pulling out the hand of the King pin, giving it to Ned.

'shall we begin?'