Chapter 61

Prakriti P.O.V

I was standing on the balcony with a soft smile on my face, Brother Krishna was bringing end to Arya's confusion about fighting in the war.

"You cannot see me with your human eyes, but I will give you other sight. Behold, Arjuna, my forms: a hundred, a thousand, endless. See the Adityas, the Vasus, the Rudras, the Asvins and the Maruts. See the hidden realms, the Universe and whatever you care to see. Arjuna, behold Me!" and soon Brother Krishna transformed into his divine form. I joined my hands together and bowed down, once again I am witnessing my Brother's celestial form and it is a sight to behold. My eyes shined brightly, his aura surrounding the whole universe. Arya fell on his knees in awe and folded his hands, tears falling from his eyes  "O' Madhava! O' Madhusudan! Today all my doubts have been obliterated, kindly return to your human form, I shall obey every orders of yours" he said with determination in his eyes. 

Brother Krishna changed back into his human form and blessed Arya pulling him to his feet. Panic has been fully erased from his body and now he knows the purpose of this war. Both walked back to the chariot and Brother Krishna took his place as Arya's s charioteer with Arya riding with him.

***

War has begun fiercely, both armies rushed at each other to win the war. Clash of armor and weapons creating thunder like noises and men falls in hundreds. But above every other noises, Brother Bheem roared like an excited lion that has been let loose from a cage. He charged towards Prince Duryodhana's army. Twelve of Duryodhana's brothers covered him in arrows beating him back for a time and Duryodhana laughed in glee.

I smiled at their silliness, they can not stop death with mere arrows. Quickly Little warrior joined his uncle with Nakula, Sahadev and Dhrishtadyumna to draw blood driving twelve kauravas back. Brother Bheem shrugged the arrows from his body and roared sending people to the ground.

I averted my eyes from them and moved towards Pitamah Bheeshm, he was standing in front of Arya. They match each other shaft for shaft. Satyaki faces Kritavarman; the two Yadavas fight, one for darkness, the other for light. Little warrior was facing Brihadbala, lord of Kosala. Dusasana faces Nakula and Durmukha, Sahadeva. Elder Brother sees Uncle Shalya before him. He bows to his elder and raises his bow to fight. Quick Uncle Shalya breaks Edler Brother's weapon in his hand with a sizzle of arrows. Roaring, Brother seizes up another bow and covers Uncle Shalya's chariot in a cloud of fire, forcing him back.

While great kshatriyas were fighting on their chariot, all around them millions common foot soldier battle and hundreds of dying every moment. I clenched my fist but didn't turn away from the scene because I knew this will happen in the war, Millions of people will give their blood to cleanse this earth. As predicted, Pitamah Bheeshm was like yama on the field, he killed thousands even while he holds up Arya. Then suddenly little warrior moved towards Pitamah Bheeshm. He attacks Uncle Shalya, Kritavarman and Pitamah Bheeshm himself. He strikes Shalya's arm deep, so he drops his bow and has to leave the field. Kritavarman stands just briefly against little warrior, before he has his bow snatched from his hand by a shaft of huge velocity. Then, no warrior stands between Arjuna's son and his great-grandsire.

I was very proud of my son as he alone was facing Pitamah Bheeshm. His chariot was standing in between his father and Pitamah Bheeshm. "Great Grand father, please accept my greetings" he said bowing his head. "If we had meet at home, I would have asked for gifts but we meet on the battlefield, hence I ask you to attack me" he said with resolve in his voice.

"Who are you, boy? from where you got the ability and courage to face me?" Pitamah Bheeshm  asked my son.

"I am Pandu's son Arjun and Yadav's Princess Prakriti 's son, Abhimanyu" My son responded back. "I am Uncle Krishna's student and today I am here on this battlefield to challenge death" he said and pointed his bow towards Pitamah Bheeshm awaiting for his response. Pitamah Bheeshm didn't raise the weapon on him. His eyes starting tearing up from the guilt of killing future of the kingdom but my son is here to fight for virtuous.

"I am like an arrow from Gandivdhari's Arjun, after being deployed, it doesn't return to the quiver, Fight me, Great Grand Father, Fight against me" he said as he cuts his Pitamah's banner from his chariot. He started raining arrows on Pitamah Bheeshm but Pitamah avoided each arrow swiftly, he was still not ready to fight against Little warrior. He broke Abhimanyu's bow to stop him, but Abhimanyu used his sword to attack his Grand Father and both started fighting because nobody can stop Abhimanyu with words.

Guru Drona, roaring, splits Dhrishtadyumna's bow in his hands. Battle is truly joined and the feral spirit of war grips the two armies.

I saw sun creeps toward the western hills, it was almost sunset which means fight will halt any time now. I saw Uttar fighting Uncle Shalya, Uttar shoots his arrows in a blinding flurry and it seems that Shalya must give way before him. Shalya's horses rear at the grey elephant's advance and his sarathy cannot hold them. In a flash, prince Uttara shoots down those beasts; he draws blood on Shalya's sarathy and smashes his chariot under him with a terrific volley. Shalya finds himself stranded, his bow fallen and Uttar Kumar advancing on him. In a blur, Shalya seizes up a javelin from his broken chariot and casts it like a bolt of lightning. The prince's roar dies in a gurgling scream, as the lance flashes into his chest, striking his heart in a crimson burst. I gasped as he topples from his elephant's back. I closed my eyes as a lone tear fall from my eyes for the fallen warrior. He fought bravely in the war, I saw Elder brother running towards him and took him in his arms, just then the sun sinks behind the western hill. Conches blare from both sides and the first day's of war ends.

The Senapatis withdraw their legions and each army collects its dead, to cremate them beside the golden river. I walked slowly to the entrance knowing fully well that we have to mourn our dead, Krishne stood beside me in anticipated waiting for her sons.

Little warrior was carrying Uttar's corpse in his arms, his mother fainted on the spot and Uttara ran towards his brother, crying in agony. I looked at Brother Krishna, this is the fate we have chosen for this people who are standing with us. He diverted his eyes away from me. Krishne cried beside me and I hold her in my arms, my tears unconsciously fell from my eyes and a slow drizzling started.

On the other hand, Across the Saraswati, Duryodhana calls for a fireside feast to celebrate; there is drinking and singing, dancing-girls entertain the Kaurava troops. Duryodhana has no doubt that he will win the war like he won today's battle.

***

Uttara was crying in my arms as cremation process started. She cried Uttar's name again and again and slowly slumped to the ground. I hold her tight in my arms "Your brother is first martyrs, he is in heaven now with his ancestors and no one will forget this fierce warrior" I said to her, she hugged me tightly still sobbing.

I watched as Duryodhan enjoyed the feast laughing and drinking. Fire burned in my eyes, this is a small victory for you Prince Duryodhan but the war will be ours.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author note:

Finally a chapter after so long, Actually I am busy as I am moving to Bangalore now for my job so I am not getting enough time to update but I will try to update as much as I can.

Thank you for putting up with me :)

Vote and comment your opinion on the chapter :)