Chapter 29: Past

----------------Dick's POV: ------------------

Was I concerned for Percy, of course, any good brother would after seeing what had happened on the security footage, but it was hard to be concerned when she didn't seem to be hurt in any way, in fact, she looked better than the before we'd seen on the camera.

Percy laughed freely, her hands placed behind her in a position to keep herself upright as she sat out on the lawn, the massive dog we'd come to practically adopt laid in her lap, much too big to actually fit but it was cute seeing it try and press its head against her stomach like a pillow. She was talking to a friend she'd brought over, someone Bruce had allowed to come in after Percy adamantly refused to let her leave.

It was kind of funny really. Percy had been getting fussed over all day, Tim and Jason never left her side, even through her protests. I couldn't help but agree with some of her points, she really did look and act fine. Of course, that was no reason to believe so. I even caught Bruce lingering around her like a shadow or something you'd think you mistakenly saw out of the corner of your eyes. That was until the doorbell rang. We'd all been in the living room, Bruce included, so he offered to go get it since Alfred was off somewhere else in the house. We could barely hear the conversation down the hallway.

"Hello? How did you get in here?"

"I went in through the gates, now do you happen to know if Percy Jackson lives here?"

Percy had immediately perked up, so violently in fact she made Tim and Jason jump back. Percy's eyes lit up, her smile widening as she shoved the blankets off herself and scrambled for the hallway, slipping a few times before she got her footing and bolted to the door. We immediately got up to follow her.

"I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I'll need to get identific-"

Percy slid into the main room, her eyes pointed towards the door as her smile widened impossibly large.

"Annie!!" We came around the corner just in time to watch Percy push past Bruce, jumping into the arms of the girl who smiled calmly, almost like this was how most of their interactions go.

Percy clung to her like a koala as she wrapped her legs around her waist, the type of hug I often saw in those videos of people getting reunited at the airport. The girl gently rubbed Percy's back, her smile widening.

"Hey seaweed brain, I found you." Percy laughed her face buried in the shoulder of the girl.

I could feel a general air of confusion and happiness towards the situation as even Bruce's grip on the door had lessened. Eventually "Annie" dropped Percy, Percy's smile still bright as her eyes lingered on the girl. I felt a smirk rise to my face as a semblance of an idea rolled into my mind.

"So..." Their attention turned to Bruce who now held a small smile. "Who may this be?"

It was a good question. As awful as this sounds, Percy didn't make a lot of friends at school, often choosing to stick to either us or this one kid who had shaggy brown hair and often wore thick skater jeans, the type that are so baggy you can't even see the shape of the leg at all. I'd never seen someone like this around her.

Percy's grin turned into a lopsided grin, a mischievous look in her eyes. "This is Annabeth, she's a friend from my camp in New York." She turned back to Annabeth who gave her another smile, this time though, when Percy turned away, her eyes seemed to harden, examining us all as if we were prey to eat. It was a strange combination the two of them.

But of course, this situation led to now, the two had run out back for a picnic, with Bruce offering to bring out what he could while he asked Alfred to make proper snacks.