Chapter 36: Past

---------------- Percy's POV: -----------------

"So wait, there is no dancing involved?" I asked, looking across their faces so I could make sure they all weren't lying straight to my face. Each of them shook their heads, Jason looking more amused than sincere.

"None at all...usually, but tonight's party doesn't involve dancing so we're in the clear." I sighed, nodding as I turned to look out the limo window. As odd as this was, we didn't often use the limo, usually using it strictly for when my brother's friends were here and we needed a car large enough to hold everyone, though I have to admit I'm slightly thankful for that. I didn't have the best memories of this limo, it was the car used to pick me up after mom so it always seemed to leave a constant chill running down my spine.

Tonight was a debut as the boys called it, a time where Bruce would officially acknowledge my "position" to a bunch of the rich old men of Gotham. It was like telling the world I was officially his adopted daughter. I wasn't excited per say but the thought of the whole event was leading me giddy, so much so I couldn't stop the bouncing of my foot. I could see Tim watch my leg bounce up and down with slight confusion.

I tried to stop but found my nervousness led to be tapping my fingers in a random rhythm against my leg. I looked down at my dress, it was a simple black dress, something I had no say in. Alfred had picked it out and while sure it was a lovely dress - a fact Annabeth made very clear over our IM - I just didn't necessarily love it, honestly it could've used a lot of blue.

The limo shook as we ran over the bump to get to the venue. I sighed as we neared, the building coming closer in my view. I felt my leg pick up bouncing again, the small thumps accompanying the low music Alfred had chosen.

"Percy, there's nothing to worry about." I turned back to see Dick smiling an almost sympathetic smile.

I rolled my eyes. "You guy's have done this before, of course you can say that. The most interaction I've had with people of power is..." I paused a realization coming to mind. The gods technically counted as people of power. "Shit." I said, the boys opened their eyes, and I swear I could see a sense of pride in Jason.

"Percy!" Tim said quickly. He looked like a disappointed mother more than anything.

I raised my hands as if surrendering. "Look I'm just not good when it comes to authority! I mean for gods sakes I-" I paused taking in a deep breath. They looked at me expectantly but I couldn't tell them I've nearly killed and been killed by multiple primoridals, gods, and monsters. Yeah cause that would make sense. "I nearly fought my teacher once. She came at me in a museum after I talked back to her. I'm just not great with authority." Their amused looks took on an edge of concern as they looked at me. I just shrugged. "It sounds worse than it was."

The car fell into silence after that as we pulled into the street in front of the building. The car coming to an easy stop before the four of us went to leave.

Jason, Dick, and Tim got out first, I spent my few seconds alone taking in deep breaths and trying my best to remind myself not to do anything stupid, no back talking or adding in dumb insults. Unlike the gods these people couldn't kill me, but I also was representing Bruce now, so anything I do reflects on his image. That thought single-handedly made me more worried, but I didn't have time to panic as Tim stuck his hand into the car, offering my help out. I carefully placed my hand in his as I felt him pull me out.

The photography and flashing of lights was immediate as people yelled all around us trying to get my attention and get for me to give them a statement. It was overwhelming to say the least.

I took a hesitant step back as more lights continued to flash, the image reminding me of the explosions on the battlefield and I didn't like it at all.