Chapter 38: Present

----------------- Percy's POV: ------------------

I shook the pan carefully, watching the pancake slip and slide up and down the pan with each new jostle. My table was set in the room over, eggs and toast already plated, two cups of orange juice sat carefully, the condensation rolling off more and more with each new second. The apartment smelled luxurious, like something you'd expect in a Disney movie. Even the light coated my apartment in a lovely yellow, making my place look not so dingy and dark, unlike my closet which hid my knives and weapons.

Despite what should've been the nicest time my apartments have ever seen, I was sweating bullets, my grip on the pan was tight, my knuckles white from the force, and my muscles ached from a lack of sleep and constant pacing. I wasn't sure I'd even make it to the check-up at this rate.

I let out a shaky breath, trying my best to keep calm and not just hide out in the league's quarters. I'd already asked for the day off, I couldn't head over now.

I grabbed the spatula and quickly placed the pancake on a separate plate. There was a stack of pancakes already, probably around 10. Mom always says stress cooking was genetic, I suppose she was right.

I turned off the stove, and with the plate in hand, I walked over to the table. I'd even used my fancy dinner plates. I was that worried.

My knee bounced half hazardously as I placed the plate down in the middle of the table. I took a step back. Was it too much? Maybe he couldn't even come. Maybe this was one of Apollo's really nasty and mean pranks. It wouldn't be the first time he's done something like this. He once tried to blind me in the middle of a mission. I almost lost the target that time.

I shook my head, my foot tapping against my wooden floors as I stared at the table for any imperfections.

*Ding dong* My body froze before my heart started pounding. I clenched my fist as I slowly walked towards the door.

"Hello? My father sent me over to come to check you out. I was told you're of special lineage." Will's voice was a bit deeper than before, but it still had that same cheery charm. I clenched my jaw as I reached the door, my hand hesitating over the handle. All the fear and memories of the day I'd run away were flooding back, my eyes burned as I stared at the handle. Maybe I could just jump out the window and make a run for it.

"Hello? Is anyone home?" He sounded like he was right there as if he stood in the same room as me again. This would be my first time seeing anyone from camp aside from Tyson in over 4 years. A small sigh sounded outside the door.

My hand began shaking from under my power. Why did this have so much control over me? I can do better- be better than this. I had to be better if I was ever going to try and come back.

With a quick intake of breath, I opened the door, finding the back of a head of blonde hair. Will turned back quickly, a smile on his face.

"Oh, hello! I'm-" It took a second but his eyes ran over my features like a piece of Bruce's tech. His eyes widened in realization as I was frozen in fear. Would he yell like Nico? Would he back away like before, not say anything and just leave me? Different actions were racing through my mind like a bad movie.

"Will..." I said quietly and slowly.

His breathing deepend as he stared at me, seemingly shocked, I couldn't say I was much better. I currently had my long hair pulled back into a ponytail, my white and black bangs though refused to be held back, they sat on my forehead and tickled the sides of my face. I wore casual clothes, comfortable ones in an effort to force myself to relax. An effort that was most definitely in vain. Currently, those clothes were navy blue sweatpants with a spaghetti-strap Nemo shirt tucked into said pants. Will on the other hand looked taller and older, his bright smile was more handsome and charming. He wore a look he had from the last time I left, including his white shirt that was always covered with a flannel jacket, and the sleeves rolled up to his elbows like always. He wore jean pants, his medical bag in hand.