Chapter 37: Present

————————— Percy's POV: ——————————

"Oh gods above have mercy" I mumbled under my breath as I walked into the spotlight that shone bright over the circular ballroom floor. Damien looked over to me, giving me a trying smile though it looked more like a grimace.

"Don't worry, I'm trained to live up to my grandfather's legacy, this'll be easy" I pursed my lips as I turned back to the floor. As we walked into the light everything lightened, my hair shining vibrantly from its place on my shoulders, I took in a deep breath as people crowded around us.

"I will now invite my sponsor up to the stage to state the rules." Bruce nodded once as he walked off, behind him someone with bright red hair and a gorgeous white dress that ombre into purple at the bottom strutted onto stage. I stopped dead in my tracks when she brushed her hair off her shoulder and beamed to the crowd, her emerald eyes glittering in the light.

"Hello everyone! I'm Rachel Dare, and I will be giving you the rules." While it had been 4 years since I last saw her she looked different, older slightly. Her previously wild red hair was calmed, placed into precise curls, she also looked more built then last time and I think I even spotted some scars, the long white streaks across her arm looked the same as one's I'd gotten from hell hounds. She looked across the crowd, her eyes landing on me and sticking for a moment too long before she continued. I let out a breath of relief as I lowered my head to keep my face from being in full view. "Tonight, in honor of Bruce's theme, we will be dancing, this dance will be starting off with a partner of your choosing, we will set out people to observe and find the best of the best, and as more people are eliminated you will switch and find someone new, this will continue until we find the final person."

People clapped as I watched the crowd start looking around for someone to cling to. Damien stepped closer and I felt a smile rise to my face as he looked over hesitantly, almost like I would shove him away. I quickly nodded and ruffled his hair. I watched a small smile rise to his face, he didn't fight my hand as I continued to ruffle. Eventually I removed my hand as I looked back to the stage.

"Now find your partner in the next 2 minutes or you will be eliminated!" People started clamoring to talk to people, some already having a partner like Damien and I. I stood dutifully by his side as I watched women and men try to find a partner.

Eventually, a man ran over, his face frantic, he was an older gentleman with many rings on his fingers.

"Ma'am, would you like to pair up?" I sighed as I shook my head. His face fell as he looked at me like I was crazy. "But you don't have a partner." I pursed my lips as I looked over at Damien. The man scowled. "You're choosing that pip-squeak over me?"

I sucked in a deep breath as I took a step forwards. "Of course I am. Now leave before I'm forced to physically remove you." He grunted, looking me up and down before walking away. I stepped back, resuming my position beside Damien.

It was a moment longer before we were told to begin, I quickly turned to Damien, I lowered slightly to adjust for the height before we began dancing, the music picking up quickly as everyone began to dance, I'm sure this scene looked like it came straight from a movie.

I admit I was bad, like really bad. Damien kept telling me how to dance while we were doing so, the act difficult as I watched my feet like a hawk. "-Now take a step back and then to the left." I hesitantly followed his words, my feet slower than his and forcing him to slow down with me. Someone in a black suit walked by us slowly, watching me carefully. I felt a cold sweat develop on the back of my neck as I tried to make my movements flow, my grip tightening. Damien gave me a trying smile and it helped only slightly as I loosened my grip.