Chapter 64: Present

—————Percy's POV: —————-

I could still hear the loud pounding in my ears as my heart thumped heavily in my chest.

Tim stood beside me looking between the two of us, his eyes lightly coated in tears, though I wasn't much better admittedly, a fresh tear tumbling down and off my face with ease.

Bruce looked like he'd aged a few years, a new worry line here, a barely visible scar there, a darker look in his eyes, though that could just be because of me. I looked back and made eye contact with Damian, a scowl placed on his face eased when he saw me. He seemed to think for a moment about how to encourage me before settling on a small, confused-looking, thumbs up. While it didn't make me feel better, the gesture was appreciated.

For a moment I thought the world was silent but I realized in a quick flash that Jason and Dick were still warding people off, their voices now only barely audible over the blood pumping through my ears.

"Percy." I turned quickly, the one voice carrying over the loud pumps as I made eye contact once more with cold icy eyes. Bruce's scowl, the only look I'd remembered him wearing aside from the look from that night, was gone, instead, a look I couldn't quite imagine on Bruce was there. A small smile. Sure not revolutionary for an average person, but for Bruce, this must've been equal to grinning from ear to ear.

With a deep breath, I walked forwards slowly, my feet picking up speed only slightly on my small journey before I crashed into Bruce's arms, immediately I felt like I was being squished in his arms as the strong smell of his cologne hit my nose. My vision blurred as he held me, my lip quivering as I tried not to cry anymore because the gods only know how many tears I'd shed tonight.

"You're home." He mumbled, though it didn't sound like it was to me, it more sounded like he was trying to see if this was a dream or not, the idea made me feel much better. I could feel my heart rate lowering and with it, the sounds of the confused crowd hit me. This also seemed to hit Bruce but he didn't pay it much mind. "I didn't say those things." He said quietly, my eyes looking over from the spot on his side since I wasn't tall enough to place my head on his shoulder. "Well I did, but I didn't mean them, I couldn't control-"

"I know," I said quietly, this time I wrapped my arms around him, returning the gesture quietly.

We stood there for a moment, a deep feeling comparable to a glass vase being fixed with glue filled me. It wasn't perfect, and it'd take time to heal everything, but it was a start, and I was okay with that.

After a moment longer he let me go and I took a step back, I only noticed now that flashes were going off around us, and Damian looked to be trying to fight a man with a camera around his neck, the poor guy yelling at Damian as Damian tried to simultaneously rip the camera from the camera man's hands and kick him in the shins. I chuckled quietly as Bruce let out a pretty impressive whistle. Everyone slowly turned to him as he adjusted his suit and looked out towards the crowd, his smile gone now replaced by his usual scowl.

"I regret to inform you that tonight's party must be retired, due to something important showing up I must ask you all to leave. Thank you for joining us tonight, your presence was greatly appreciated and I will be rescheduling this event at a later date, so be expecting invites soon." He let out a fake but pleasant laugh. "Goodnight and I shall hopefully see you soon." some let out groans but for the most part, everyone began clearing out, the sounds of shuffling mixed with the music as it slowly faded into nothingness.

Hands returned to my shoulders as I was turned to Bruce. "Are you okay? You don't have anyone after you right?" I shook my head, giving him a smile that emulated relief.

"I'm fine. There's no one left keeping me in that line of work." Bruce nodded, looking over me once more before letting me go.

"We have a lot to discuss," he mumbled, an authoritative tone filling his voice. I felt my smile slip slightly, his eyes widening ever so slightly as he shook his head. "You're not in trouble. Just..." he sighed.