Chapter 2

GOODBYES

The sound of train whistles filled the air as the six Pevensies made their way across the station

The sound of train whistles filled the air as the six Pevensies made their way across the station. Annabelle stood next to her younger brother, eyes filled with sadness but with a strong hand on his shoulder. She was not ready to say goodbye.

The station was filled with what looked like thousands of children and hundreds of mothers, all exuding the same sadness as Annabelle and her family. From the corner of her eye, Annabelle could see Edmund glancing around the station, likely hoping to catch the eyes of passing soldiers. She missed Dad, too.

The time to say goodbye came earlier than any of them wanted to. Helen knelt in front of Lucy, hugging her youngest to her chest. Little Lucy was trying her best to be brave and not to cry, and Annabelle nearly shed her own tears just watching the interaction. The middle Pevensie looked up, blinking rapidly to clear her eyes of the tears before they could fall.

"If Dad were here, he wouldn't make us go," said Edmund as Helen knelt in front of him, about to say goodbye.

"If Dad were here, it'd mean the war was over and we wouldn't have to go," said Peter with the tone he seemed to reserve especially for Edmund. Annabelle shot him a look over Edmund's head, her eyes clearly expressing the message. Now is not the time.

"You will listen to your brother, won't you, Edmund?" asked Helen, though she already knew the answer. "And you'll listen to Annabelle, right?" she asked, hoping for a different result. Edmund kept his face neutral, and Helen sighed before reaching up to hug her youngest boy. Edmund, however, turned away swiftly and Helen paused for a heartbreaking moment before simply kissing his cheek, moving on to her eldest, and pulling him in for a tight hug. "Promise me you'll look after the others."

"I will, Mum," said Peter as he squeezed his eyes shut, burying his face in her neck.

"Good man," Helen smiled tearfully as she released him, moving on to her oldest girl. "Susan," she whispered as she pulled her daughter in for a hug. Annabelle could see Susan's face over their mother's shoulder, and it was clear that the older girl was doing everything she could to not break down right there and then. "Be a big girl," Helen told Susan quietly and the 15-year-old nodded tearfully with a brave smile. Finally, Helen moved on to her last child. Her special little girl. "Anna, come here."

"Mum," Annabelle nearly whimpered, her fingers grasping at the back of her mother's coat. She was not ready to say goodbye.

"Listen to me," whispered Helen gently, but urgently. "Be careful. Remember, nobody can find out about you."

"I know," whispered Annabelle, her voice hitching just the tiniest bit. "They won't."

"Good girl," Helen smiled, squeezing her daughter one more time. "Take care of the others for me. And look after yourself."

"I will, I promise," Annabelle nodded as she finally pulled away, a tear glistening in her eye as she mustered up a smile. Her mother smiled back at her proudly, and Annabelle knew that she was telling the truth. She would not let anything happen to any of her siblings. She would protect them, no matter what.