pt.8

The war waged on. As hours turned to days. And days became weeks of blood shed between the two sides. Both taking heavy casualties as the cost of the conflict began to severely weigh on Gabrielle. She sat in her tent alone as she heard these outside going about preparing for the next battle. She closed her eyes for a moment as she attempted to clear her mind. Hearing a noise, Gabrielle instinctively grabbed her staff that she had next to her and swung as she stood up and turned. A hand reached up and easily caught it.

XENA
You've really improved your reflexes with that thing.

Gabrielle sighed as she relaxed and sat back down as Xena let go of her staff.

GABRIELLE
Yeah well what other choice do I have?

Xena walked around and leaned against the table that was in front of Gabrielle. She could see the dark circles under Gabrielle's eyes. She hadn't been sleeping well since the war began, but she did her best to keep it from Xena. But deep down she knew that she couldn't hide it from her. Xena knew her all too well. Xena gave her a gentle smile.

XENA
(Half joking) You look terrible.

GABRIELLE
(Joking) Hey is that any way to talk to a queen?

XENA
It is when she's running herself ragged.

GABRIELLE
Yeah well it's not like I have any other options. There doesn't seem to be any signs of this ending anytime soon.

Xena sighed knowing how true that was. Things weren't exactly going well for their side. It seemed like after most battles they came out on the loosing end. Even with Xena's strategies. It wasn't just Gabrielle that was feeling the pressure. The ally army was beginning to lose morale as well. Xena knew from experience that was never a good sign. Things were not looking good for any of them at the moment. As Xena and Gabrielle spoke, Ephiny entered the queen's tent.

EPHINY
Gabrielle, Xena we've received word from the scouts. The enemy is on the move.

She handed Gabrielle a scroll with the information that the scouts had learned.

GABRIELLE
Already? Damn it.

Gabrielle stood up after reading the message and gave it to Xena to look it over as well.

EPHINY
They do seem to be regrouping fairly quickly after each fight.

XENA
It's a good strategy. Don't give us time to rest. They certainly have the numbers for it.

EPHINY
What should we do?

Xena put down the scroll and walked over a map that was spread out on the table. She looked it over and came up with an idea based on the intel they just received. After telling Ephiny what she had in mind, Ephiny left to spread word to the camp of what their next move was. As Xena stood over the table, Gabrielle walked over beside her.

GABRIELLE
I'm gonna go wait near Argo.

XENA
Alright. I'll be right out once I grab my stuff.

Before Gabrielle left, Xena pulled her close and held her for a moment.

XENA
We'll put an end to this soon.

Gabrielle leaned into Xena's embrace.

GABRIELLE
I hope you're right Xena.

The two separated and Gabrielle left the tent. Entering queen mode and masking her fears, anxiety and fatigue as she left. Xena sighed as she watched the shift from her sweet bard, Gabrielle to the Amazon queen who she had come to see more and more of since the war began. Not that Xena didn't like to see Gabrielle take charge like this. Xena was more concerned about the toll that she knew it was taking on Gabrielle to have everything resting on her shoulders. Xena just hoped that this war would end soon. She moved from the table and grabbed her chakrum and placed it on her hip as she picked up her sword. She was just finishing hooking it on her back when Xena made a very unhappy growl.