pt.16

With the leader of the enemy Amazon's dead, the war was essentially over. Though they didn't know it yet those on the side of the queen had won. But for Xena it felt like she had lost everything as held the motionless Gabrielle in her arms while she cried. Ares stood over them, satisfied with what he had caused.

ARES
It looks like I won after all. No more bard. No more queen. No more Gabrielle. And now you're all mine Xena. Finally I got rid of the one thing keeping me from claiming what should've been mine a long time ago.

Xena ignored Ares as she continued to try anything she could think of to save Gabrielle. But nothing worked. And deep down Xena knew that Gabrielle had simply taken too much damage and she had gotten there too late. There was nothing Xena could do.

XENA
I'm sorry Gabrielle. I should've been here.

Xena let of a yell of frustration, anger and sorrow as she held Gabrielle's body tighter.

ARES
A bit dramatic don't you think?

Xena glared at Ares for a moment but said nothing. She then looked back at Gabrielle and softly touched her face as she wiped away her own tears.

ARES
Well now that that's over let's get going. This war might be done, but I have plans for something much bigger.

Xena didn't look at the god as she began to speak.

XENA
You really don't get it do you?

ARES
What?

XENA
Ares Gabrielle wasn't the one keeping me from you.

ARES
She changed you Xena. But now you can go back to the way you should be.

XENA
The way I should be? I will never go back to being that person Ares. Even without Gabrielle. And the fact that you think that by killing her I'd just come running to you  really shows just how little you actually know me or care.

Though in intense physical pain, Xena stood up as she lifted Gabrielle's lifeless body in her arms. She looked at the god with a hollow expression in her eyes.

XENA
You will never have me Ares. End of story.

Xena turned around and began to walk away as she carried Gabrielle. Ares stood there and called to her.

ARES
Where are you even going with her? She's gone Xena.

Xena stopped and looked back at the god.

XENA
I'm done Ares.

ARES
What do you mean you're done?

XENA
Exactly what I said. I'm done. Done with this mess you've made. Done putting up with you. Done with fighting. Done with everything.

ARES
You aren't actually giving up being a warrior, it's who you are.

XENA
Not any more. Plus It's not like I'm gonna need it where I'll be going soon.

Then it finally hit Ares what Xena was intending to do.

ARES
You can't be serious here Xena. Think about what you're saying!

XENA
I know exactly what I'm saying. Besides without Gabrielle I would've been gone long ago anyway.

Ares began to think as he tried to figure out a way to keep Xena as he watched her turn back and continue walking.

ARES
Do you really think that's what Gabrielle would want? To just throw your life away.

Xena quickly turned back to face Ares.

XENA
(Angry tone) Don't you dare even try to speak for her. You have no idea what kind of person she truly was. All you care about is using me for your own selfish goals. So stay away from me. I have nothing more to say to you. It's over.

Xena turned back and started walking again as she held Gabrielle. Ares was at a complete loss of what to do. He simply couldn't understand what Gabrielle had that he didn't which made Xena pick her over the god every single time.

ARES
Come on Xena, Gabrielle can't really be worth giving up everything for can she?

Xena paused walking once more and looked over her shoulder at Ares one last time and uttered a simple yet impact full answer.

XENA
Yes.

She then continued walking as Ares yelled and swore in anger and frustration that his plan had completely failed.

ARES
(Talking to himself) No I do not accept this. I put too much time and effort into this to lose here. Xena WILL be mine.

Ares refused to admit defeat and warped in front of Xena.

XENA
I told you were done Ares.

Xena went to move around him when Ares grabbed her arm.

ARES
No Xena I refuse to be ignored any longer. You WILL serve by my side whether you like it or not! And with Gabrielle finally out of the way, nothing will stop me from taking what I want.

Before Xena could stop him, Ares tore Gabrielle from Xena's arms and kicked Xena away. Xena's injuries and fatigue made it so she couldn't jump right back up and easily get to Gabrielle. The enraged Ares looked at the lifeless Gabrielle and scowled.

ARES
(Angry tone) You. What is it about you that has such a powerful hold over that woman? I guess it doesn't really matter anymore though dose it?

Xena struggled to stand as she saw Ares put Gabrielle on the ground and stand over her. His obsession driving him towards total madness.

ARES
If I completely get rid of any trace of you. Maybe then....

Xena watched as Ares raised his hand and aimed at Gabrielle.

XENA
Ares no please!

Xena fought to get up, but her body had hit it's limit. She was just too hurt and exhausted to stop him.

ARES
I will have Xena.

An orb of light formed in Ares hand and he prepared to unleash the attack.

ARES
This is the last time you will ever get in my way. Now get lost for good.

XENA
Gabrielle!!!

TO BE CONTINUED...