Chapter One

CHAPTER ONEOutbreak Day 2003

CHAPTER ONE
Outbreak Day 2003

The day started as normal as every other day, Violet went to school as normal and when she came home that afternoon,
her parents were nowhere to be seen.

All she could hear was her baby sister
screaming out in the other room.
Violet walked into the nursery puzzle written on her face.

She reached into the cot and pulled Lily into her arms.
As soon as she settled her sister,
Violet walked through the house calling for her parents before reaching the phone and attempting the call her parents from there.
But there was no answer.
Just static.

Violet shook her head before walking to prepare a bottle for Lily.
Some time had past but no response from either her mum or dad.
The sky was dark and she could hear distant growling,
her stomach bundling up with nerves as she reached for the remote moving to change the channel to the news,
and her eyes widened as she saw pure chaos. The news reporter spoke quickly,

"Lock your doors.
There is a mile long line of cars sitting and waiting to leave the city.
Something is really wro—"

Violet gasped as the reporter was cut off as a man lunged at the woman erratically aiming to kill,
the camera wobbled before turning black as a knock was heard loudly at the front door.
Violet flinched jumping a mile up moving her sister out of sight as she grabbed a knife of the table and stared out the peep hole.
It was her parents.
Standing there eyes wide blood covering their clothes.
Violet quickly opened the door as her parents rushed in speaking in sporadic sentences,
her mum pulling her daughter into a tight hug before her father grabbed a gun from underneath the stairs. Her head was ringing.
What the hell was happening?
Her mother grabbed her arm after picking up Lily dragging her quickly to the car before Violet turned and saw people (or whatever they were) sprinting towards them growling as a squeal was released from her.

"We have to go Violet.
Now.
Get in the car."

Her mother shouted shaking as her dad aimed and shot at the 'sick' people running towards them.

The car screeched moving backwards as tears slowly flowed down her cheeks as her mum passed her Lily to hold. Her mother whispered something but all she could see or hear was her sister.

Fear crept up and down her spine as they drove to the exit finding piles of cars blocking them in.
Her mother and father screamed at each other, suddenly a loud smash against the window was sounded as Violet screamed turning her head to see a man with blood dripping out of his mouth clawing at the car as her sobs echoed throughout the car, as her mother screamed at her father to drive.

Her father drove backwards whipping the man of the car as
he reversed backwards further and further before swerving around
driving towards the next exit before a car came out of nowhere crashing into the side as Violet shielded her sister the car flipping over before landing on its side.

Violet's eyes readjusted as she looked down to see her sister still safe in her arms tucked in between the chair and herself.

Violet softly called out to her parents before noticing her father was not moving.
Her mother turned around panicking,

"Violet, are you okay?
Is Lily?
Oh god!
Phil!"

After checking her husband's pulse and finding nothing,
Tears streamed down her mothers and Violet's face as her mum snapped out of her grief pushing for her children and mustering up her strength and pulling both of them out.
They started running towards the centre of town,
as Violet felt completely overwhelmed and confused about why she had just left her father there. Violet still held her sister as they walked,
her mother standing in front with the gun pointed standing at attention.

When they made it to the inner of the city, her mother stopped pushing her children into a hiding space
before turning around to find a horde of the 'sick' people heading their way.
Her mother panicked before grabbing Violet by the shoulder and
tears welled up in her mother's eyes before she spoke quickly,

"I love you both so much.
I am going to lead them away.
I-- I know you don't understand,
but you need to get to safety five minutes from here is a safe place, you know near your school, the- the blue building.
Keep this knife.
Protect your sister, okay? remember I love you."

Violet started to protest immense pain fluttering through her chest,
as her mother screamed at her to go.
Choking back sobs Violet took of in a sprint placing her sister close to her chest, she turned back before seeing her mother shoot into the air and run the other way leading the infected away. Violet ran fast before turning back when she heard her mother's screams.

Violet picked up her pace running quickly before seeing her school.
Her heart ached.
Her body ached.
She was now an orphan.
With a baby to take care of.
The world would never be the same.

END OF CHAPTER