Chapter Twenty Six

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

As soon as Violet got to the house, she went to have a shower.
Standing underneath the hot water, unwanted flashbacks hit her at once.
Lily's cold dead eyes.
Her own screams.
Violet squinted as she fought the urge to scream again loudly.
Secretly Violet thought at least she had Ellie and Joel. But what did that matter without Lily.
Everytime she opened her eyes she saw her sister's eyes.

Her heart was in a constant state of anguish, and she wished Joel would just hold her and tell her everything would be okay.
Sobs wracked Violet's body as she sunk to the shower's floor.

When she was eight and she lost her parents, she didn't have a choice, she had to fight, to push on.
But now, the future was cloudy and unforgiving.
And that terrified her.

Violet stood with shaky legs,
trying to calm herself down,
counting to one hundred,
naming three things she saw.

To be honest, Violet felt weak.
Like a fragile, broken person.
There didn't seem to be a way out,
of the drowning, the nightmares, the breaking down 50000 times a day.
She was tired.

Sometimes she wished she had died with her sister, or done the same thing that Henry had.
Fate was cruel.

As Violet walked down the stairs she moved towards Maria, leaving Ellie upstairs to shower

Maria and Violet sat in an awkward silence for a while before Maria snapped,

"Do you know all the innocent people Joel has killed? And you are just letting him poison that child."

Violet stared at Maria for a second, she felt an unbridled rage filling up inside her, how dare she?
before replying,

"Yes.
Do you know how many people Tommy killed?
And he loves that little girl,
so stop talking about shit you don't understand.
We have been through hell together.
My sister died trying to get here. I had to kill her, Ellie was right there.  I care more about that kid than I would like to admit. You think I would let Joel be anywhere near my sister or El?