chapter 4: memory and training

It was a nervous day for Cas, he was at his locker putting suitcase in his locker.

Nervous? Wanna tell me? Nick asked.

Ah it's just, i feel kinda useless, all i have is my phasing ability and my claws, i don't have a gun on me, Cas said.

Hey don't worry, it's like my uncle would said when i was young, it's not the person in the battle, it's the battle in the person, nick said.

Thanks, Cas said, closing his locker.

Hey Nick, you wouldn't happen to know an arms dealer? Cas asked.

I don't know anyone, but i think my uncle does, i might call him, nick said.

Just then an announcement awakened.

Would all first year students please report to Beacon cliff for initiation? Again, all first year students please report to Beacon cliff immediately, the speaker said.

Maybe after our report, let's get going, Nick said.

They all then went to the cliff where Ozpin spoke.

For years you have trained to become warriors. And today, your abilities will be evaluated in the Emerald Forest, Ozpin said.

Now, I'm sure many of you have heard rumors about the assignment of teams. Well, allow us to put an end to your confusion. Each of you will be given teammates... Today, Glynda said.

Cas wasn't afraid of the rumor, he was focused on the task at hand.

These teammates will be with you the rest of your time here at beacon. So it is in your best to be paired with someone with whom you can work well.

Cas looked to see Nick and Aniki had pumped each other's forearms, Ozpin said.

Cas and Nairi looked at each other and knotted.

That being said, the first person you make eye contact with after landing will be your partner for the next 4 years, Ozpin said.

Cas looked to see other people's reactions to their actions.

After you've partnered up, make your way to the northern end of the forest. You will meet opposition along the way. Do not hesitate to destroy everything in your path, or you will die, Ozpin said.

That sentence soon gave some of the people shivers. Cas was one of those people but he took breaths to shake it off.

You will be monitored and graded for the duration of your initiation. But our instructors will not intervene. You will find an abandoned temple at the end of the path containing several relics. Each pair must choose one, and return to the top of the cliff. We will regard that item, as well as your standing, and grade you appropriately, are there any questions? Ozpin said.

Yeah, urm, sir- Jaune said til he was cut off.

Good! Now, take your positions, Ozpin said.Soon one by one everyone got launched into the forest.

Woo-ooh! Cas said as he and his friends were airboard.

Phantom phase! Cas said as he morphed into his phasing form.

As he landed he rolled out his form and stood up.

Stuck the landing, Cas said.

Just as he took a step a loud gunshot knocked him down literally. 

Ah, I knew those wind rounds would be useful, Nairi said.

Ouch, Cas said.

Oh you okay? Nairi said.