chapter 8: the grimm detective and the foul fangs

It was morning for Cas, he had no work from school or from his job, he was free.

He'd placed his clothes back on from the previous night, his jeans, shoes, his shirt, his trench coat, and more importantly his sunglasses.

As he was about to leave, he grabbed his notepad, to see what he previously wrote, "the recent robberies", "the white fang" and "Penny".

Hmm, i'm going to look for Blake, she's been talking to that stowaway faunus, but there's also Penny, I don't know who might be more concerned, Cas said.

As he left his dorm ready for the day, ruby walked up to him.

Hey Cas, we can't find Blake, you ran after her, do you know where she is? Ruby asked.

Cas thought telling the truth would only cause more of a stir than helpful, so he had to lie to her.

Sorry, i couldn't catch up to her, her dashing ability out performed me, Cas lied about.

Shot, well you tried, ruby said.

He then walked away to see his friends talking to each other.

Hey guys, what are you talking about? Cas said.

Nothing really, just some tactics we could perform on missions, you? Nairi said.

Have you seen blake? He responded.

No, why do you ask? Nick said.

Well there was this stowaway faunus at the docks, but as we followed him me and team Rwby encountered a girl named penny and she's kinda strange, Cas said.

Strange as in...? Aniki said.

Like she's not human, her words, her movement, her responses, they all aren't human like. I know she and ruby are instantly friends, it's something i'm concerned about, but that's two cases in the same day, i need your help, Cas pleaded.

Sure, we might help, the Penny case might only need one person, while three of us will go on the Blake case, Nick said.

I'll take the Penny case. I've been actually looking for new friends, Nairi said.

Then that means us three men look for Blake, I actually know where they're going, Cas said.

Soon Cas, Nick, and Aniki went to a cafe to see Blake and the stowaway faunus talking to each other.

Finally, she speaks! Nearly two days and you've given me nothing but small talk and weird looks, the faunus said.

Smooth talking pal, Cas whispered to himself.

Sun... are you familiar with the White fang? Blake asked, causing Cas to look up.

Of course! I don't think there's a faunus on the planet who hasn't heard of them. Stupid, holier-than-thou creeps that use force to get whatever they want, bunch of freaks if you ask me, sun said.

I was... once a member of the white fang, Blake said, which made Cas take his glasses off.

She was a member? Cas whispered lower.

He then heard Sun coughing on his tea.

Wait a minute, 'you' were a member of the white fang? Sun questioned.

That's right. I was a member for most of my life actually. You could almost say I was born into it. 

Back then, things were different, in the ashes of war, the white fang was meant to be a symbol of peace and unity between humans and faunus, of course, despite being promised equality, the faunus were subjected to discrimination and hate. Humanity still thought of us as lesser. And so, the white fang rose up as a voice of our people.and i was there. I was at the front of every rally. I took part in every boycott. And I actually thought we were making a difference... but I was just a youthful optimist... Blake said.