Part 9: the 7th Hour

Something about her is just unreal. Opinionated, strong willed, and not to mention prett-no, gorgeous. Just like that, the hate I've had for her just melts. How could I hate this? I don't even care about what she did anymore, the past is the past, and right now, she's my future.

After getting sick, she was sitting at the table across from me absolutely demolishing cans and cans of fruit.

"This stuff is addictive Rafe I'm not even kidding." I laughed. I've never seen her this happy. Making her happy makes me feel so good. This reminds me of that time her and Sarah were best friends years ago.

I was eating cereal at the kitchen table when both of them came downstairs giggling. They saw me eating breakfast, and they just started giggling more.
"What are you laughing at?"
When I said that, they started to full on cry out of laughter. My face flushed as I saw her howling with laughter. I didn't even know what I had done to make her laugh, but seeing her laugh like that because of me had my stomach doing flips.

I guess I always sort of liked her.

She finished her fourth can of mangoes.

"Go easy there. I don't want you to get sick again. Plus, we gotta make sure the food lasts us the entire journey."

She nodded and sat back in her chair.

"So... I'm guessing I can't contact my friends?"

I looked up at her, and our eyes met. Deep brown and full of hope.

"Just to tell them I'm safe. That I'm ok."

"I didn't bring a phone. Singh took it in Barbados and since then I never got around to getting a new one."

"Oh." She said. Her hope was crushed.

"What about you? Where's your phone?"

"Sam sort of thing, except I lost it way before Barbados. I don't even remember where... I just remembered that it wasn't one of my priorities anymore."

I nodded.

"How much longer until we get there?"

"Well you tell me." I said. "Where is 'there'?"

"Well it's complicated. According the the historical society, Blackbeard hid his treasures in land that the British occupied at the time, but according by his Captains Log, he hid it in Saba, which is a small Island-"

Wow, she knew what she was talking about.

"Owned by the Dutch, right?"

She looked up, surprised. "Yeah."

"Weird." I scratched the back of my neck.

"But also makes complete sense. I mean, as a British sailor, isn't it too obvious to hide it on your country's land? It's kind of genius."

"Shit, you're right. It does make sense." I said. When I set the boat on course, I followed the coordinates and on the map, all it showed was ocean. I wasn't even sure if the coordinates were right, but still. Good to know they'll lead us to an actual place."

I stood up and went over to the wheel and grabbed the map that was sitting on my seat. I brought it back to the table.
"Right now we're just reached Key West." I pointed to the spot on the map. "Generally about here. I know it's not exact but still." Kie nodded.

"Makes sense. We've only been traveling for about a day now. It's going to take about 3 days depending on how fast we go." She said. "If we're already at key west, we're like 1/3rd of the way there. How fast are we going, Rafe?"

"Pretty fast. I want to get there soon, you know? Don't worry, I keep checking in at the cockpit to make sure everything is running smoothly."

Good. Kiara nodded.

"Kie you should get some sleep. It's pretty late." I said.

She glanced at the clock on the wall.

"It's nearly 1 am?" She asked, surprised.

"I mean, yeah. We left at 6 so it's been like 7 hours of travel."

She stood up from her seat. "Guess I'm off to bed then." She said. "Night Rafe."

"Night Kie."