Part 14: decision

I step slowly down the stairs. I thought I heard a noise, a grunt or something, but now it's completely silent.

"Rafe?" I call his name yet again.

"Kie I'm getting dressed" he finally spoke. I stopped midway on the stairs. He sounded out of breath, and his words came out all at once.

"Uh, ok. I thought I heard something-"

"I stubbed my toe." He said quickly.
He stepped out from behind the door of the small bathroom. His hair was still dripping wet. He had shorts on but no shirt, and his chest was heaving softly.

I've never seen him without a shirt on and it caught me off guard. His skin was tan and his arms were surprisingly defined, and the veins in them were prominent. Not just that, but he had abs too. A real 6 pack, like he got it from weight lifting or something. He had a strong v line going down.

He didn't look like Sarah's geeky older brother anymore. He looked...

"Earth to Kie?" He said, waving a hand in front of my face.

"Yeah, sorry I'll go." I said, turning around and marching straight up the stairs. I could feel the heat in my cheeks.

What the heck was that...

I tried to shake it out of my head as I sat back down behind the steer, but it was burned into my brain now. His strong arms... the same arms that held me to keep me safe. His chest, the same chest I laid my head on.

I heard footsteps behind me and I turned around. Rafe was wearing a striped t-shirt, and his hair was still damp.

"Hey." He said. "I can take over now."

I stood up from the seat and he sat back down, becoming the captain once again.

"Only a few more hours, then we'll be there." He said.
I nodded, not knowing what else to say. A few days ago, I hated Rafe. I should still hate Rafe...
But I don't.
Maybe he's actually changed. Maybe he isn't the same Rafe that beat Pope bloody or nearly killed Sarah... twice.

I just feel so confused. I don't know how to feel towards him anymore... so I guess the best thing to do is to keep hating him.

"I'm going to take a nap." I say quickly.

"Ok. See you later then." He said, turning around to look at me.

I didn't allow myself to make eye contact. I turned quickly on my heel and left the cabin, heading for the bedroom.

I flip onto the bed, staring at the wooden ceiling. I don't have the slightest clue what to do.

Sure, after we land on Saba I could go find help. Say I was kidnapped... but then what? I would end up double crossing him again... and there's no way he'd forgive me this easy for a second time. He is a dangerous person... and he's capable of dangerous things.

Plus, everyone else on OBX probably figured we'd be coming here... right? It's only a matter of time before they also dock in Saba... so should I wait for them?

Honestly, that would probably be my best bet... but that means I can't go get help or leave the island. I have to stay... with Rafe.

I can feel the nerves bubbling up in my stomach, not because I'm scared of what he might do, but because I'm scared that I am making a rash decision. Am I being dumb? Would the best thing be to just leave?

But I can't risk it. It would put everyone I love in danger.

Sticking with Rafe it is.