Part 15: arrival

She must've called asleep because I don't hear her tossing and turning anymore.
I look out at the vast ocean. I'm beginning to get restless because of seeing the same scenery again and again... when all of a sudden I notice it.
Land. A sandy shore...
We're here.

"Kie?" I call out. Immediately I hear footsteps, and before I know it she's standing next to me.

"Is that..."

"Saba." I exhale as I look at the sandy white beaches and clear blue waters. The island was beautiful.

As Kie and I get closer we can see a small dock area. Most of the boats there were yachts and other small boats. Ours wasn't too out of place.

I kill the motor and stand up, climbing out and hopping down onto the deck. I tie the boat to a post and climb back in.

"Don't forget the an-"

"I won't forget the anchor," I said. I pressed a button on the front control panel and I hear the creaking of the anchor being lowered to the ground.

"I can't believe we're here." She said softly. Honestly, neither could I. I grab the backpack that I had tossed in a corner. It had only the essentials, money, water, a box of matches, and a small pocketknife.

You never know what it could come in handy for.

I climb back out of the boat and onto the deck. "C'mon Kie," I call out to her. Sure enough, she follows me out.

We make it down the dock and to a small building that reads "visitors center" on the roof. I wasn't going to stop there but before I knew it a large man opened the window of the little shack-like building. 

"Hey there, are you here for a day visit or a getaway?" He asked. He was tall, with a large tummy and dark hair and skin. He was wearing cargo shorts, flip-flops, and a large red t-shirt.

"We'll be staying for more than a day," I said.

"ah is this a honeymoon?" He asks gesturing at Kie. I chuckle dryly at him, but when I see no reaction from Kie I stop.

"No, we're just-"

"Friends." She interrupts.

"...stopping here before going our way again." I finished.

"Ahhh." The man says, his gaze flitting between the two of us.

"Ok, to keep your boat here, 20 per day, 40 bucks per week, deal?" He asks.

"Deal." I agree. I open my backpack and pull out a 40 dollar bill.

"So where are you two staying at?" He asks.

"Well, I was hoping you could tell us," I say to him with a smile.

"Ah, it's that kinda trip eh?" He laughs heartily. Kie snorts, probably in annoyance.

"If you're looking for resorts they're on the other end of the island, but if you just want a hotel there is a local one called Julianas Hotel about 20 minutes away. You can go by bus to either resort or hotel." He smiles.

"Anything else?"

"Nope, that'll be all. Thank you." I say, turning away. I look at Kie, and I notice she was already looking at me. I look away before she can see the blush spread across my face.

"Well let's friggin go," She says, walking quickly passed me. I trail after her.

I guess we're not messing around.

"Where are you going?" I hiss. She continues to walk quickly, saying nothing. I grab her arm and she whips around.

"Kie, listen, we gotta think about this. I have a plan, but you gotta trust me."

She scoffs.

"Rafe name one reason why I should trust you."

"Because this can get real bad if you don't," I say under my breath. I don't mean to scare her, but there are people I... owe. If they find me, all of this is over, and even Kie's safety is compromised. I can't risk that, not with her reckless behavior.

The sun brings out the dimension of her intense brown eyes, and she looks at me indignantly, saying nothing for a few moments.

"Fine." She hisses finally. "Let go of my damn arm." She says, yanking it away." I let go quickly, not realizing I was still holding it.

"Lead the way, Captain Cameron." She says.

Everyone on the bus to Juliana's hotel looked touristy. We were probably the only ones there for any actual... business-related reasons. It was either tired-looking families or tired-looking couples.

This wasn't the type of vacation spot for the general public, which made it a little difficult for me and Kie to blend in. We were younger than most of the people here, and we didn't look the tiniest bit in love.

Well, at least she didn't.

It's ok though. It doesn't matter. I don't care. It didn't bother me the first time, it won't bother me now.

Still, I can't believe I fell for her, again.

"I think we're here," I whisper as the bus slows to a stop. The doors open and people start streaming out. I glance over at her... and see she's fast asleep. As much as I'd like to admire her, I can't at the moment.

"Kie?" I say softly. She stirs a little and mutters something.

"Kie we gotta go," I say, rubbing her arm. Slowly, she opens her eyes, and before I know it she's on her feet.

I lead the way, and we both exit the bus.

"Rafe you still haven't really told me where we're going." She said, following me as we walk on the dirt path.

"I know a place. Dad bought it a while ago, but it's sort of on the outskirts. Guess we gotta walk the rest." I say.

"Rafe look!" Kie exclaims suddenly. I flinch and my hand goes to my back pocket to pull out my switchblade... when I notice what she's pointing at. A butterfly the size of my face flits past, its wings a bright iridescent blue.

"God Kie, don't do that." I sighed, putting the knife back.

"Sorry." She mutters. We continue our trek.

"We'll be there soon, I promise."