part 16: les riches Camerons

Rafe turns and looks back at me, likely to make sure I'm still following him. Normally, I'd be trying to find a good way to escape... but if I started running he'd catch up to me in no time. I couldn't do it now.

We turn left and the dirt path becomes sidewalk. There's a row of little shops and cute boutiques, and we walk all the way down the street until Rafe stops in front of a bar. He walks up to the door and pulls it open, then glanced at me.
"Ladies first."

I roll my eyes, but enter the bar first.

"Wait here near the door." He mutters to me. He leaves before I can say anything in response. He walks up to the bar, where a muscular man comes out from behind the curtain that probably leads to the kitchen. Then man glances at Rafe, and he comes around the counter to talk to him. They talk I hushed tones, and I see Rafe glance at me a few times. The man nods, and he reaches into his back pocket, pulling out a flip phone.

A flip phone?

Rafe nods, thanking him. Then opens up the phone. The man disappears behind the counter again.

I make my way to Rafe, who smiles at me.

What was he up to?

Rafe dials a number into the phone, then holds it up to his ear.

I can hear someone's voice indistinctly on the other end, then Rafe speaks.

"Oui un suite. Pour moi et ma dame."

At first I'm shocked at his French, but then I remember he's a Cameron. Of course the Cameron's can speak French... why wouldn't they?

"Nous en avons bescoin ce soir. Oui, merci Charlotte."

He snaps the phone shut and tosses it onto the counter.

"We wait here for a few minutes, a car is coming to get us."

"What?" I ask him.

"My dad had a few... favors to cash in. Not everyone knows he's... dead, so I can still cash in said favors."

His face is blank, and he's not looking at me anymore. His gaze is far away, and for some reason I feel a pang of sympathy.

This is one of the rare times I realize Rafe is human too... and he misses his dad.

"So where are we going?" I ask, trying to change the mood.

"There's a resort on the other end of the island. Luxury resort, not many tourists go there, a lot of them can't afford it."

"Oh-"

"Should be a good place, pretty discreet, no one suspects anything. Plus, I have a connection. The manager, Charlotte. My dad and her dad used to be business partners, briefly though." He sighed.

"Anyway, it'll be good for us. I haven't been there since I was a kid."

"You've been to Saba before?"

"Well yeah, of course I have. Not loads of times, just once or twice... it used to be Mom's favorite place."

There's no way to lighten the mood with this guy, is there.

All I can manage is a soft "oh" as Rafe leans back against his chair.

We sit in silence for a few moments. He looks lost in thought, and I don't know how to snap him out of it, or even if I should.

"They're here." He says abruptly standing up. "C'mon." He gestures for me to get up. I follow him out of the bar, and right in front of the building is a black limousine.

"Get in." Rafe says, opening the door. I climb in, and he slides in after me, shutting the door.

There is one driver, and one man in the passengers seat. Both are dressed in suits and wearing sunglasses. The driver lets out a hearty laugh.

"Ça fait longtemps qu'on ne s'est pas vu, Cameron."

"Oui." Rafe says with a smile.

"Nous y serons en un rien de temps." And with that the driver puts his foot on the pedal, and begins to drive down the street.