7| Starting the Year Off with a Crash

I finally got the ebook and I can start writing again! I don't know how often I'll post- it'll probably vary but I'll try my best to update as often as I can.

Thank you for sticking around during this very long absence and I hope you enjoy the chapter!

♡ Aristeria Chantae

"Come on Estie! We're roasting marshmallows!"

Hermione Granger's voice echoed in the tent, her voice carried from outside but Estella didn't look up, too busy staring aimlessly at the roof of the tent.

She had been distant the entire holidays, and not even the infamous apple and rhubarb crumble could cheer her up.

She had been brooding over her end-of-year results yet again. Every time she tried to push it away, it returned, like a nagging mosquito that seemed to reappear despite one's constant attempts to swat it away.

Estella was disappointed in herself. Her first year at Hogwarts- her first end-of-year exam and she couldn't even do any better than if she were in Muggle school.

Wasn't being a witch supposed to improve her skills?

Wasn't it supposed to unlock some hidden innate talent that had been abandoned and discarded?

A frown sat resolutely on her face and the insistent tugging and beckoning from Estella did nothing to help it. 

The dim echoes of loudening footsteps filled her mind and Hermione appeared in front of her, her hands on her hips, her eyes glinting with eagerness.

"Come on Estie or I'll eat your marshmallows too!" Hermione teased. Then her eyes fell on Estella's glum expression and her lips tugged downwards. She crossed her arms over her chest. 

"I'll come in a bit," Estella mumbled, shifting in her sleeping bag. It was so soothing here- so peaceful. Why should she leave the warm comfort of her patterned quilt when all she was running into were the piercing judgements and hollow remarks of the outside world?

"Estella," Hermione said sternly, sounding very much like the older sister she was(even though, as Estella constantly reminded her, three minutes was not very many at all!). "You're not still upset about Harry are you?"

"Uh," Estella fumbled, grappling for the excuse. "Yes!- I mean, no."

"I know he hasn't replied or anything, but we're out in the wilderness! Maybe Hedwig couldn't find us." Even as she said it, a note of doubt seeped into Hermione's voice.

"Ron said he hasn't received any letters either," Estella said stubbornly, "And his family owl- Erol, managed to get to us- and he's ancient!- Ron's words, not mine."

It had been a week!- okay, maybe only three days - since Estella and Hermione had owled their presents to Harry Potter for his birthday. Estella had triple-checked the address too, even though Alora was perfectly capable of locating the green-eyed boy herself.