22| The Promise

Thank You all for 1K reads!! Enjoy the chapter

Estella made it to the pitch just as Madam Hooch released the balls. The Snitch zoomed off and became lost in the blurred landscape and cheering spectators.

The Hufflepuffs were standing in a huddle, having a last-minute discussion of tactics.

Estella was making her way to the Gryffindor section of the stands when Professor McGonagall intercepted her.

"Miss Granger, you need to come with me now," said the stern witch. Her face was paler than usual and she seemed to wince slightly as she addressed her, like the name was an unwanted reminder.

"But- Professor the game starts soon," Estella protested. "I told my friends I would meet them..." She trailed off as McGonagall shook her head.

"I am afraid that there will be no game this time, and perhaps, not for a long time after." Her voice was grim but ironclad. "Follow me," she instructed. "I must make the announcement."

Estella frowned and hurried after her teacher as she half marched, half ran across the pitch, simultaneously summoning an enormous purple megaphone.

"The match has been cancelled," Professor McGonagall called through the megaphone, addressing the packed stadium. Estella winced at the volume.

There were boos and shouts. It felt as if each and every yell was directed towards her, like arrows that never missed. She wanted to shrink into the ground. 

Oliver Wood, looking devastated, landed and ran towards Professor McGonagall without getting off his broomstick.

If the situation weren't so dire, Estella might've laughed.

"But Professor!" he shouted. "We've got to play... the Cup... Gryffindor..."

Professor McGonagall ignored him and continued to shout through her megaphone: "All students are to make their way back to the house common rooms, where their Heads of Houses will give them further information. As quickly as you can, please!"

Estella scanned the crowd for her friends, but they were lost in the sea of scarlet and gold.

"Potter, I think you'd better come with me..." said Professor McGonagall from beside her.

Estella flinched ever so slightly at the name. She didn't want to see him. Not here. Not now.

Harry hurried over and Estella did her best to avoid looking at him. She didn't know if she could handle it if she saw those emerald green eyes again.

"Do you know what's happened?" he asked her.

Estella clenched her jaw. "No," she replied simply, not offering a further chance to continue the conversation.

Tears prickled at the edges of her eyes and anger clutched at her heart. She wanted him to know- to feel what strife he'd caused her. To feel the pain as she did.

From the corner of her eye, Estella saw Ron detach himself from the complaining crowd; he came running up to them as they set off towards the castle.

Estella wanted Professor McGonagall to dismiss him as he'd dismissed her. But she didn't.

As she looked up at him, she saw a flash of pure contempt fly across his face.

Two can play that game, Ronald, she thought, lifting her chin and maintaining an icy disposition.

"Yes, perhaps you'd better come too, Weasley." Unfortunately.

Some of the students swarming around them were grumbling about the match being cancelled, others looked worried.