41| A Sirius Infringement

Happy New Year guys!!

On Halloween morning, Estella woke in a bright and cheery mood, rushing down the breakfast with her friends in excitement for their first Hogsmeade trip.

They lined up at the Entrance Hall where Filch was standing inside the front doors, checking off names against a long list, peering suspiciously into every face and making sure that no one was sneaking out who shouldn't be going.

"Staying here, Potter?" shouted Malfoy, who was standing in a line ahead of Estella and her friends with Crabbe and Goyle. "Scared of passing the Dementors?"

Estella shot a sorry look at Harry's retreating back as he ignored Malfoy and made his solitary pursuit back up the marble staircase.

She had little time to feel bad however, as she was soon engulfed in store after store of marvellous inventions and crackling candy.

She was dragged through Zonko's Joke Shop to look at exploding cauldrons and trick wands, Honeydukes to buy chocolates and confectionaries("Free samples!" exclaimed Hazel), the post office to see all the owls and what seemed every other odd place in between.

By the end of their extensive perusal, Estella was spent, and she and her friends retired into the Three Broomsticks for foaming mugs of hot Butterbeer, which seemed to re-energise them.

They sat there, surrounded by the busy chatter of their fellow students and customers. Estella rested her back against the soft cushion of their booth and let out a sigh.

"Should we head back after this?" Belle inquired. "The feast will start soon."

Amelia laughed. "I don't think I can handle carrying any more bags so yes." 

With that, they finished their Butterbeer and made their way back up to the castle, dropping off their purchases in their dorm before meeting up again in the common room to go down to the feast.

The Great Hall had been decorated with hundreds and hundreds of candle-filled pumpkins, a cloud of fluttering live bats and many flaming orange streamers, which were swimming lazily across the stormy ceiling.

The food was delicious; even after all the Honeyduke sweets they had consumed, they managed second helpings of everything.

The feast finished with an entertainment provided by the Hogwarts ghosts. They popped out of the walls and tables to do a spot of formation gliding; Nearly Headless Nick, the Gryffindor ghost, had a great success with a re-enactment of his own botched beheading.

Estella and her friends followed the rest of the Gryffindors along the usual path to Gryffindor Tower, but when they reached the corridor which ended with the portrait of the Fat Lady, they found it jammed with students.

"Why isn't anyone going in?" Belle said curiously.

Estella tried peering over the heads in front of her. She placed her hands on Charlotte's shoulders to prop herself up on her tippy-toes.

"The portrait hole's closed," she informed her friends, frowning.

"Let me through, please," came Percy's voice, and he came bustling importantly through the crowd. "What's the hold-up here? You can't all have forgotten the password- excuse me, I'm Head Boy-"

And then a silence fell over the crowd, from the front first, so that a chill seemed to spread down the corridor.

They heard Percy say, in a suddenly sharp voice, "Somebody get Professor Dumbledore. Quick."

Estella's frown deepened and she scanned the crowd, finally spotting Hermione.

"Guys, come on." She grabbed Hazel's hand and dragged her towards her twin. The others followed.