12| Quidditch and Bone-less Arms

"Do you really think there's a secret chamber in the school?" asked Amelia, throwing her red, copper hair behind her shoulder as they walked to the DADA classroom

"Not sure," said Lucille, turning to face the group. "It could've just been a prank - you heard what Binns said - it hasn't been found ever."

"But why would someone pull a prank like that?" Charlotte chimed in. "The cat's not dead, yes, but it still won't be unpetrified 'till the Mandrakes are done."

"And Harry, Ron and Hermione," Hazel furrowed her brow, "Why were they there? They wouldn't-" she cut herself off, seemingly unable to finish her sentence."

"It's not them," Estella asserted. "I talked to them."

"Still," said Larissa, "It's fishy. Hazel is right; why were they there?"

Estella bit her lip. It wouldn't do Harry any good if rumours of him hearing voices spread around the school. "They were going back to the common room after going to Nick's Deathday party," she said at last. It wasn't lying, per se, just telling a slightly simplified version of the truth.

"If not them, then who?" said Belle and the group lapsed into silence, each lost in their own thoughts.

They reached the classroom and filed in after everyone, smiling painfully when they caught Professor Lockhart's eye.

His lessons were less dramatic since the Pixies, but no less dull. Instead, he read passages from his books and sometimes re-enacted some of the more dramatic bits.

Harry was usually the one picked for these woeful demonstrations.

This lesson was no different.

Harry was hauled to the front of the class, this time acting a werewolf. Estella felt quite bad for him as he sent a desperate look towards Ron and Hermione. Nonetheless, he relented and stood stiffly beside Lockhart.

"Nice loud howl, Harry - exactly - and then, if you'll believe it, I pounced - like this - slammed him to the floor - thus - with one hand, I managed to hold him down - with my other, I put my wand to his throat - I then screwed up my remaining strength and performed the immensely complex Homorphus Charm - he let out a piteous moan - go on, Harry - higher than that - good - the fur vanished - the fangs shrank - and he turned back into a man.

Simple, yet effective - and another village will remember me forever as the hero who delivered them from the monthly terror of werewolf attacks."

Larissa managed to turn her snort into a cough.

The bell rang and Lockhart got to his feet.

"Homework: compose a poem about my defeat of the Wagga Wagga werewolf! Signed copies of Magical Me to the author of the best one!"

Estella rolled her eyes. "Well I know I won't be trying hard to win."

"We've already got Charms and Transfiguration homework," Hazel said nervously. "And we can't do it on Saturday - the Quidditch match is happening."