16| Skewed Loyalties

Malfoy raised his wand quickly and bellowed, "Serpensortia." The end of his wand exploded.

Estella watched in mounting horror as a long, black snake shot out of it, fell heavily onto the floor between Harry and Malfoy and raised itself ready to strike.

There were screams as the crowd backed swiftly away, clearing the floor.

Estella's feet seemed to be encased in cement; her movements were blocky and slightly unmanageable as she stumbled back, almost crashing into Amelia.

Her gaze was locked on the black snake which stared piercingly at Harry through beady eyes. She didn't even know snakes could be that terrifying.

Perhaps it was the shock of the unexpected reptile or the fact that she had never seen one except behind a glass-enclosed display at the zoo, but her heart beat terribly in her chest.

She couldn't imagine what Harry was thinking right now. She desperately wanted to help him but she wasn't sure how. What if the snake had venom? What if it poisons Harry?

"Don't move, Potter," said Snape lazily over the noise, clearly enjoying the sight of Harry standing motionless, eye to eye with the angry snake. "I'll get rid of it."

"Allow me," said Lockhart in obvious excitement.

"Oh no," Estella groaned. "Not him! Somebody stop him."

But it was too late.

There was nothing they could do as Lockhart brandished his wand and brought it swishing down with a loud bang.

The snake, instead of vanishing, flew ten feet into the air and fell back to the floor with a loud smack. Enraged, hissing furiously, it slithered straight towards Justin Finch-Fletchly and raised itself again, fangs exposed, poised to strike.

It was all Estella could do as she dragged Amelia, Hazel, Charlotte and Belle backwards away from the sharp fangs.

Justin was only a few feet away, standing in shock and horror as the snake descended on him.

Estella raised her wand, ready to cast the shield charm once more but then there was a sound; it was a low hissing that sent chills up her spine.

It might've been a language, so old that they didn't know it; Estella thought it sounded like a sentence- or rather, a command.

The sound came from Harry.

He had run forward and shouted that eerie hiss. Then, without warning, the snake went slack, like a thick, black garden hose.

It curled in on itself, as though it possessed everlasting patience. Its eyes were fixed on Harry.

Everyone stared.

Belle gave a weak sort of groan. "No- it can't be!"

Around them, students were crowding in amongst themselves, shuffling closer to their friends as they stared wordlessly at Justin and the snake and Harry.

Harry. Estella was in shock. She had no idea what had just happened. The snake had seemed to listen to him. What language was that? Why did it work? Why did the snake listen?

Harry looked up at Justin, grinning.

Estella turned to look at him too, expecting to see relief and gratitude etched onto his face; Harry had, after all, saved his life- that much was clear. Harry had told the snake not to harm him and the snake - for some inexplicable reason - had listened.

She certainly did not expect to see an angry-looking Justin, trembling in fear, one finger pointed up at Harry's confused and slightly hurt face.

"What do you think you're playing at?" he shouted. Harry opened his mouth to speak but before he could, Justin had turned and stormed out of the hall.