14| Fireworks in Potions

Dear Mum and Dad,

Hermione and I are staying at Hogwarts for Christmas this year. We've decided to study over the break and the school library would be a ton of help.

Please don't worry too much about us. We'll be careful and the teachers can keep us safe. Dumbledore - the Headmaster - is widely known as the best wizard of his age. I'm sure he if anyone, can make sure we don't get into trouble.

I'll write again around Christmas.

Lots of love,
Estella

Estella looked up from the parchment which was bathed in a warm glow from the fireplace. Harry, Ron and Hermione were sitting opposite her.

She faced her twin. "Are you sure this is a good idea?"

Hermione looked hesitant, but she nodded.

"You don't have to come if you don't want to," offered Ron. 

Estella gave him a look. "Of course I'm coming. There's no use trying to persuade me otherwise- you've already told me what you're up to."

The trio had briefed Estella on their recent activities. Far from the dangerousness of this task, she had been shocked to discover that it had been Hermione who had suggested the use of Polyjuice potion in the first place.

Estella sighed. "I'll go give this to Alora."

She stood up, slightly shakily and left the common room.

✰♪

Professor McGonagall came around the second week of December with forms to sign for those who were planning to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas.

Estella had stared at the parchment in silence before finally writing her name below Hermione's.

"Are you sure you want to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas?" Hazel fretted. "Won't it be dangerous, you know, with all the attacks?"

"I"- Estella hesitated - "I'll be fine."

"You're only staying because Hermione's staying, aren't you?" said Belle, frowning.

"She's my sister," Estella said gently. "Of course I am."

Belle looked sympathetic.

Amelia took Estella's hands in her own, clutching to them like a lifeline. "Please be careful. We don't want you to get hurt."

Estella smiled at her friends. "It'll be okay. I promise."

✰♪

"Ok, so you still need the powdered bicorn horn and boomslang skin," Estella recited, counting off with her fingers.

"Yeah but they're only in Snape's private storeroom," Ron grumbled.

"What we need," said Hermione briskly, "is a diversion. Then one of us can sneak into Snape's office and take what we need."

"Yes but when," said Harry.

Estella tilted her head and thought. "How about Thursday? we have double Potions."