35| As Always

They found Mr Weasley sitting in the bar, reading the Daily Prophet.

"Harry!" he said, smiling as he looked up. "How are you?"

"Fine, thanks," said Harry, as he, Estella, Ron and Hermione joined Mr Weasley with all their shopping.

Mr Weasley put down his paper and Estella saw the familiar picture of Sirius Black staring up at them.

"They still haven't caught him, then?" Harry asked.

"No," said Mr Weasley, looking extremely grave.

Estella sat down on a stool next to him, pushing herself in a small semicircle with her feet.

"Would we get a reward if we caught him?" asked Ron. "It'd be good to get some more money-"

"Don't be ridiculous Ron," said Mr Weasley, who on closer inspection looked very strained. "Black's not going to be caught by a thirteen-year-old wizard. It's the Azkaban guards who'll get him back, you mark my words."

Estella thought about saying something but at that moment Mrs Weasley entered, laden with shopping and followed by the twins, Fred and George, the newly elected Head Boy, Percy, and the Weasleys' youngest child and only girl, Ginny.

Ginny looked rather embarrassed as she muttered a "Hello" to Harry. Estella kept her mouth clamped shut and her expression impassive.

Still, she shot the girl a kind smile. She had, after all, been the victim of a young You-Know-Who's memory-infused diary only a few months ago.

Percy held out his hand solemnly to Harry and said, "Harry. How nice to see you."

Estella found it rather amusing how he was behaving as if they had never met before.

Clearly, Fred and George thought so too as Fred elbowed Percy out of the way and bowed deeply. "Simply splendid to see you, old boy-"

"Marvellous," said George, pushing Fred aside and seizing Harry's hand in turn. "Absolutely spiffing."

Percy scowled.

Estella stifled her laugh, her stool turning with her as she turned to hide her face.

"That's enough now," said Mrs Weasley."

"Mum!" said Fred, as though he'd only just spotted her, and seized her hand, too. "How really corking to see you-"

"I said, that's enough," said Mrs Weasley, depositing her shopping in an empty chair. "Hello Harry, dear. I suppose you've heard our exciting news?" she pointed at the brand-new silver badge on Percy's chest. "Second Head Boy in the family!" she said, swelling with pride.

"And last," Fred muttered under his breath.

"I don't doubt that," said Mrs Weasley, frowning suddenly. "I notice they haven't made you two Prefects."

"What do we want to be Prefects for?" said George, looking revolted at the very idea. "it'd take all the fun out of life."

Ginny giggled.

"You want to set a better example to your sister!" snapped Mrs Weasley.

Estella caught eyes with Harry and exchanged a look. He appeared almost as awkward as she felt- as though they were intruding on a private conversation. 

"Ginny's got other brothers to set her an example, Mother," said Percy loftily. "I'm going up to change for dinner..."

He disappeared and George heaved a sigh.

"We tried to shut him in a pyramid," he told Harry. "But Mum spotted us."

✰♪