Being The Bearer Of Bad News

Oakwood, New Hampshire

Stan was at Vinci's Pizza, eating a tuna grinder, which consisted of lettuce, tomatoes, American cheese, and mustard. He took a few sips of his orange Fanta. His attention was now diverted to the TV, which displayed some breaking news out of Concord. A 41 year old woman was killed in a hit and run accident. She was identified as Joanna Ashland, of Dover, New Hampshire.

Stan knew that woman. She was his wife's best friend. Hearing this sudden revelation, he would have to break the sad news to his wife, Barbara. His wife wasn't home. He paid for his food, left a two dollar tip, and left the restaurant, and got into his red 1975 Lincoln Continental Coupe, with a New Hampshire license plate on it, and drove home.

Once he arrived at his home, he thought about how he was gonna break the news to Barbara. He hated to see her break down and wail, but he couldn't keep the news to himself. He got out of his car, unlocked his front door, and waited for his wife to come home. He sat down on his brown, leather sofa, gazing at the ticking clock, a lump forming in his throat.

Eventually, Barbara arrived home, carrying her purse. Stan inhaled and decided to tell her. "Honey, I have some sad news."

"What happened?" asked Barbara, her voice laced with concern.

Trying to find the right words, Stan's face got drenched with sweat. He ran his fingers through his auburn hair, and looked at his wife and at the sofa he was sitting on.

"Babe, please tell me what happened!" beckoned Barbara.

"Its not easy for me to say this, but here goes," sighed Stan. "Honey, your friend Joanna died in a hit and run accident. I am very sorry."

At those words, Barbara's eyes watered up, and she collapsed to the floor, bawling. "No!!! This can't be happening!"

"Babe, I am so sorry!" said Stan, resisting the urge to cry himself. Barbara was really close friends with Joanna. Stan knew that breaking bad news was never easy. His heart bled for her.

Joanna's family was notified of what happened, and everyone mourned her loss. She was a happy woman, and left a husband, and three kids.

She would be missed by all.

This story was written on Monday, February 27th, 2023.

A/N Sad story, isn't it? It wasn't easy for Stan to be the bearer of bad news. But Joanna will be missed. 1982-2023. 💔💔💔💔💔 Don't be a silent reader. Please leave feedback. Thanks.