Chapter 38

Play the song to get the full effect of the following scenes. Read slowly and savor the moment. It's a MUST:

📍 New Asgard, Norway | May 2020

Exactly 2 years had gone and passed.

Everything still felt like it all happened yesterday.

Everywhere Thor goes, there was a looming cloud over his head.

He had fallen into depression without even realizing it.

"Thor," Diaval knocked on his door.

Diaval chose to stay with him as he had watched Thor down below the cliff that day Thanos was killed.

He had cried on his own, losing Maleficent, whom he stood by since she was 18.

And though his service with Maleficent was over, he still had a purpose for Thor.

His loyalty will remain to him too, as he was still worthy of it, though the god may not see it himself.

Diaval was only answered by a groan behind the door.

"The ceremony is about to start," Diaval reminded him.

"I'll be there," Thor gruffly said, making Diaval sigh knowing that he won't come.

"What he say?" Valkyrie asked Diaval.

"He'll be there," Diaval said before the both of them go.

Thor was inside his house, sitting on the couch and looking out at the window.

Everyone in the New Asgard held candles towards the cliff, in honor of their loved ones who died in the Statesman and vanished during the snap.

Thor sat only watching before getting the picture frame on the side table of his chair.

It was the only photo he had with his wife.

The one he took to show Maleficent what was a camera.

He brushed away the tear that fell from his eyes.

"It's okay, Thor," he tried to reassure himself, tired of crying every day.

For the past 2 years, Thor's hair was growing out, and so was his beard.

He had also gained weight from all the alcohol he consumed and unhealthy ways of eating, trying to cope with his loss.

But no amount of alcohol could ever numb his pain.

He held the stone on the table, still waiting for it to glow.

Thor brought it everywhere he goes, especially in his sleep.

He looked out the window, seeing the clear night sky, thousands of stars lighting up.

In Asgard, those were their ancestors and deceased loved ones.

For some reason, it felt like they were mocking him.

Some have moved on from what happened, and some are still trying to.

But Thor can never find himself to take the first step of moving forward.

He was stuck on where he was, constantly reminded of what happened.

In his dreams, he would see how Heimdall and Loki died.

Sometimes it was him holding Maleficent in Wakanda as she vanished.

And in those dreams, he would do all the things he didn't, but still, they all disappeared.

It felt all real to him.

As he watched outside, he was supposed to be the one leading it but he couldn't find the strength to do so.

It was like fate has drained everything he had in him.

Thor thought perhaps if he goes there, he'd light a candle for 6 people.

One for each of his mother, father, brother, best friend, wife, and himself.

Because he was good as dead at this point.

On the day when he hangs out with Miek and Korg or when Diaval offers him company inside the house by helping him clean. He is somewhat at ease.

But at night, when he's alone, he's at the worst place.

In his head.

Especially, on special days which remind him of his loved ones.

It was more than just a rainy cloud above Thor's head.

It was 6 feet of soil trapping him from living.

It was one of the reasons why he doesn't hold the ceremony for that day, besides it being too painful.

Thor felt like he wasn't worthy to lead any of them anymore.

He had let them down as a king and a hero.

Thor's eyes shifted back to the photo, the pad of his thumb caressing Maleficent's face, "It's the spell you cast."

Thor chuckled, wiping his tears, "Why did you have to love me?"

The creaking of his door made him perk up and try to cover his sadness.

"Thor," Diaval entered, holding two candles in his hand.

"You didn't have to," Thor sniffed, putting back the frame on the table and getting the candle.

Diaval sat down beside him, his candle also lit.

Silence filled them.

"Thank you, Diaval," Thor spoke. "For everything."

Diaval gave him a small smile, nodding.

"Why are you still here?" Thor blurted out. "Not that I'm not grateful because I just thanked you-"

"I know. I technically have no obligations to you," Diaval replied sadly. "But if I go back to Alfheim, what's there for me to do?"

"People there live peacefully despite now being inhabited by the other feys," Diaval said. "And here, somehow, I feel Mistress."

Diaval faced Thor with a sad smile, "Maybe it's the love she left behind for you."

Thor felt his lips tremble again, so he cleared his throat to cover it.

"I never got to say this, but I'm glad she met you, Thor," Diaval said. "Not in a thousand years have I seen her so... happy and at peace."

Thor scoffed, wiping his tears, "It's that damn curse."

"What curse?" Diaval asked.

"I swear, no harm will come to you as long as I live," Thor repeated Maleficent's words to him, "And not a day shall pass that my heart will not take a beat for you."

"She took it literally, huh," Diaval said sadly before he could see that Thor was holding back his tears and swallowing his sobs as he held a clenched fist over his mouth after speaking.

"She loved you very much to defy the forces of evil," Diaval gently told him, their candles melting.

At that, Thor burst into tears, trying to catch his breath from all the pain he still feels.

Diaval took the candle out of Thor's hand and placed theirs outside the window.

He went back to his seat, rubbing Thor's back as Thor embraced the picture frame now on his chest and the stone clenched in his hand.

"I was too late, Diaval," Thor cried, referring to him not realizing it was Maleficent he drove an axe to.

Diaval felt a tear slip out of his eyes when he comforted Thor, "You didn't know."

"We were gone too soon," Thor murmured while hunched on his seat, crying and holding on to everything that was gone as the stars in the night did not stop shining for no one.