Ice Sceam x Confession: Yukisada x Shirogane

CW:

Yukisada ran down the stairs excitedly. Today was the day! He jumped the last two steps, landing perfectly on the ground floor, his soft feather-like haori fluffing up a bit. He made his way happily to the kitchen in his and Shirogane's home, pulling out an assortment of baking ingredients. He hummed happily as he began reviewing the cake recipe he had promised to cook for his friends birthday. Shirogane would mope in bed for another few hours after he woke up so there was lots of time to prepare the cake in secret.

He carefully measured all of the ingredients, mixing them together and pouring them into a heart shaped pan. The oven dung as it came to right temperature and he excitedly slid the cake pan in, setting a timer soon after. Yukisada smiled excitedly, turning on his heel and digging around in their junk drawer to find the hand made card he'd prepared.

He carefully set the card on the dining table, before spinning around again. He dug around the cupboards again, pulling out a few simple decorations and setting them up as he waited for his timer to ring. Yukisada smiled to himself as he heard heavy movement above him as his friend shuffled around. The cake was almost ready it would just have to cool.

"Stay up there a bit!" He called up the steps.

"You're holding me hostage," Shiro yelled back, whining.

"Pleaseee?" Yukisada requested. He smiled as the wolf stopped at the top step, sitting on it and pouting down at him.

"Fine, fine."

Yukisada smiled apologetically as the oven's timer went off and he scurried over to it to take it out. The smooth white of the vanilla cake glistened in the kitchen lights and he placed it on the cold stove top, giving it time to cool. He waddled over to the staircase again peering up at Shirogane's tired eyes.

"Did you sleep okay?" he asked.

"The same as usual."

"Sorry to hear that..."

"You?" His long fluffy ear twitched in curiosity.

"I was too excited to sleep," Yukisada admitted sheepishly.

"For what?" Shiro inquired his face scrunching up.

Yukisada blinked. "Did you forget?" he asked.

"Forget what?" he asked, whining.

"What's the date today," the owl prodded.

"Um, I don't know, like, a Saturday?"

Yukisada chuckled as the smell of baked cake floods into the bathroom. "What's the calendar date?"

Shirogane averted his gaze as he thought about it and then it seemed to dawn him. He looked up to the ceiling. "It's my birthday," he mumbled. 

Before he could tease him about forgetting, the oven's timer rang out. "Wait here," he requested, turning back into the kitchen. He could feel his crush's gaze peer curiously at him from the top of the railed steps as he pulled out the smooth vanilla cake. He fished out the ingredients for the icing and mixed it swiftly as the cake cooled. 

"Can I come down yet?" Shiro asked.

He hummed, gently resting a few fingers on the cakes surface. "Sure, but I'm just icing the cake."

"You made me a cake?"

"Of course I did, Shiro, you're my best friend," he said, spooning out some of the icing and smoothing it over the cakes soft surface. Shiro descended down the steps, making his way to where he always sits at the table. "Ah, you can open that card, I guess." Yukisada felt a tight sensation in his gut from the nerves. Perhaps, the contents of his writing could tear them apart but, the unrequited feeling of love he'd felt for years had become unbearable.