Character Death: Daimonji x Cosmea

CW: Mild necrophilia (?), Angst

The rain suited the mood near perfectly. Daimonji watched from the window as the droplets splattered on the ground messily, forming puddles anywhere they could. Behind him Cosmea rested. Her still form looked peaceful despite the amount of pain she was in whenever she was awake. Her gentle features were stunning to him even now. He had been waiting for her recovery since her injury had happened, in that time she had spent most of it sleeping. The flowers in her long black hair were wilting considerably as the days passed. Daimonji had spent near every moment waiting beside her, leaving Higan in Maekami's diligent care. 

He moved closer to her, sighing softly and resting his hand atop hers. His touch was timid, doing his best not to disturb Cosmea's rest. Yet, as his hand lay on hers, Daimonji felt her stir. Her eyelids fluttered opened, revealing her large rose coloured eyes that once held life and joy with bright shimmers. She was strong enough not to show it outwardly, but he could tell the amount of pain she was in. The slight quiver in her hand as she woke gave it away near immediately, as well as the gentle gasp. Her dull gaze flitted up to her lover and for a moment regained the shimmer of life.

"You're still here," she mumbled, her voice weak and quavering.

Daimonji squeezed her hand tight for a moment. "I never left."

"Shouldn't you rest?" 

He smiled at her concern, understanding that her strong compassion was one of the many reasons he'd fallen in love with her in the first place. "I'll rest when you're recovered."

She doesn't respond, her gaze drifting across the simple room. Daimonji rubs his thumb against her pale skin softly but the endearing action doesn't help falter the sadness overcoming her expression.

"What's wrong?" he urged.

Cosmea's eyes closed and she grimaced slightly, the action was so quick and hidden that Daimonji would've believed he had imagined it if he didn't know better. She was upset, he knew that much. He squeezed her hand in a way meant to press the answer from her. 

"I don't have much time left, darling."

His world spun, his hand holding hers felt numb and he couldn't tell if he was still breathing. It felt like a nightmare. He didn't understand. He had heard her words but it wouldn't process properly. He was confident she would heal. Cosmea had to. The time they had spent together had been to fleeting. 

"You'll recover, though," he reasoned, his voice a mere whisper.

She was looking at him with the patience of someone far older, willing him to understand. She didn't look scared or worried about her circumstances, just concerned for her lover. "I'm not going to recover," she explained, words enunciated, pace slow.

Daimonji shook his head, the crushing weight of the truth unbearable. She was wrong. She had to be. His lover reached out gently with her free hand and caressed his cheek before slowly removing his glasses. She set the neon green lens' down on the side of the bed and looked deeply into his eyes.

"You have to," he pleaded softly. The information finally processed his eyes welled with tears. 

Cosmea smiled sadly, shaking her head and caressing his cheek once again. "You'll be okay."

A sorrowful silence glazed itself over the small room, the only thing breaking it was the soft pattering of rain beyond the window panes. Daimonji's stubbornness about the situation didn't lessen as the time passed, the demon refused to even consider the chance his lover wouldn't survive.

Beside him, tucked into heavy cotton blankets, Cosmea heaved a sigh, her chest seemingly struggling to even allow the movement. "Lover," she mumbled, beginning her sentence with one of the pet names she frequented. Daimonji stared at her rose eyes, holding back tears as his mind filled with frustration. "The doctors have told us that I have less than a few days, everyday I get weaker, every moment I can feel my energy leaving. I'm exhausted and my body aches. Please let me see you off with smiles on our faces."