He's Like A Puppy ✨

summary: an argument starts up when damon and bonnie return to the boarding house to find you and kai spending time together. it goes south when you start to defend kai against your friends' remarks.

tags: discussion of murder, cupcakes, small biblical references, fluff

word count: 967

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Don't you see that he's dangerous? You're insane to think otherwise," Bonnie scolds you, pointing at Kai in the corner.

Kai, who, at this very moment, is sitting on a stool with a cupcake, a bit of the frosting on his nose.

"Very dangerous," you comment, holding back a chuckle.

She rolls her eyes, "you didn't see him in the prison world. You don't know what he's done."

"Killed some people? Doesn't everyone do that around here?"

"So you think it's okay?"

"I mean, no, it's not okay, but if we're gonna declare Kai evil because he killed a couple folks, then everyone else here is, too. I mean, hell. Stefan's been a ripper, Damon's... Damon, Elena's famous for turning off her humanity, Caroline's temperamental."

"Y/N, he massacred his family, there's a difference."

"Is there? Killing your family, or killing strangers who had lives and families that you know nothing about? And for all we know, maybe it was a Menedez' brothers situation."

"Okay, yes, I see your point about the strangers. But are you implying it's okay to kill your family if they hurt you a teensy bit?"

"May I just say it was more than a teensy bit?" Kai interrupts.

"Shut up-"

"You shut up, Damon, I'm trying to hear all sides of this story."

"Y/N, you're talking crazy right now! He's a liar. A manipulative, sociopathic liar. Besides, his name's Malachai, for heaven's sake! He said it himself, 'it's like his parents expected him to be evil'."

You chuckle.

"What's so funny about that?" Damon's eyes narrow.

"You do know that 'Malachai' literally means 'angel', right? In fact, it's a Biblical name. Malachai was a prophet of... y'know that actually doesn't matter. Regardless, you can't tell that someone's evil based on their name. Unless that name is literally, like, Lilith. Or Lucifer."

"Whatever. You can't trust someone based on their name, either," she counters.

"Didn't say I trust him off his name. Just said we should treat him as we do everyone else in this massive fucking house that's killed a bunch of people. And how do we treat them? Oh yeah - with understanding, and reason."

"He stabbed me in the gut, Y/N."

"So has Damon."

"Yeah, but I have the right to kill her because we're friends."

"Do you even hear yourself when you speak, or is it white noise in your head while a little mouse plays scrabble with sentences?"

"Uncalled for."

"Was it?"

They're left at a standstill. No one is sure what to say next.

"Okay," you carefully start, "whether or not you trust Kai, he's here. And, for reasons I don't know but I also don't care, he's been staying here, at the boarding house. Now, since I'm your out-of-town friend, I am also staying here, at the boarding house. So what's wrong with us hanging out since we're quite often, literally the only two people here?"

They, again, see the point in your statement, but continue to bicker about it anyway.

"He could hurt you."

"Could, yeah. But we were chilling for two hours before you guys came back. Nothing happened."

"Except he's eating the cupcakes that Elena specifically made for the party tonight."

"Maybe you shoulda labeled them 'no touching' or something."

"Are you defending him over this now?"

"Well now I'm just pointing out the obvious."

"I just... Elena's going to be pissed when she finds her cupcakes gone."

"Only one's gone, she'll barely notice."

"I'll tell her he stole it."

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"Yeah, what's she gonna do? Make him throw it back up?"

"One, gross. Two... maybe I'll just let her finally kill him. That would solve a lot of our problems."

You can't help but smirk, "and we've come full circle. House of killers."

Damon's eyes widen as he realizes, "wait. No, wait. But it's, ack, you suck. Fine. She won't kill him. Just get him out of the kitchen."

You shrug and make your way over to Kai, who's now licking icing off his fingers. "Wanna go watch a movie?"

"Sure." The answer is hesitant, but his excitement is given away with a sparkle in his eyes.

"What? This was the original problem, Damon! They can't be alone together! What if he snaps again?"

"Bonnie," you take a deep breath, "he's not going to hurt me."

"How do you know that?"

"Look at him - he's like a puppy. Just needs a friend and he'll be okay. I'll be fine. We're gonna go get out of your hair, get out of your cupcakes, and watch a movie." You state, taking his hand.

"Call if you need anything," Bonnie just rolls her eyes.

"Might need a grocery store run, but I won't need help."

"Whatever."

~💛~

Halfway up the stairs, Kai looks behind him to face you, "why'd you call me a puppy?"

"Because you are one. Y'know, I mean what I said. I trust you, and you're safe with me. You just need some company, Kai. It couldn't have been easy being isolated for eighteen years."

"So... you're gonna be my company?"

"Is that okay?"

He smiles, his dimples showing on the sides of his face, "mhm."

"Good. But two things... one, if you're ever feeling angry or uneasy, come to me first, okay? I don't want them to hurt you, so give me a chance to help you through it."

"Okay."

"And two, let's not eat any more of Elena's cupcakes. I know, pissing her off is fun sometimes, and they're really good cupcakes. But we can make our own so Damon doesn't kill us."

"Fine, I won't eat hers."

"Sounds good. Thank you, Kai."

"Thank you, actually. Um, for defending me earlier, and being a friend."

"Of course. Now, let's go watch a movie. I have Oreos in my room."