Nightmares ✨

summary: after three straight days of kai having nightmares, you can't take the cries anymore and need to intervene.

tags: talk about childhood abuse / trauma

word count: 1.4k

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You guys, I'm kinda worried about him," you mutter, setting down your glass of whiskey.

"Oh, he'll be fine. Just give it another ten minutes, he'll shut up."

Another whine carries throughout the house. It pangs your heart to hear, but you also don't know what to do to stop it.

"Better shut up sooner," Elena eyes her boyfriend, annoyed, "I can't hear myself think."

"I'm gonna go talk to him," you start to stand up, but then Bonnie puts a hand on your knee.

"Girl, don't. If he finds you in his room, he'll probably snap your neck. And you're human. Damon's right, just give him a couple more minutes. He always stops eventually."

You guys' conversation is interrupted by the sound of the wooden doors closing quietly.

"Sorry to disturb," Jo announces her presence with a small wave. Alaric's standing behind her, smiling a little. "Mind if we join you?"

Damon raises his glass, "just drinking, come on over!"

"Yeah, I figured," the now-human joins the group, "could use some drinks and company."

As they get comfortable, another cry rings out from upstairs.

"Oh my god, who is that? Is everything okay?" Rightfully so, Jo looks alarmed.

Damon, however, just rolls his eyes. "That's Kai. He's been doing that for three straight days. But like I told Y/N here, give him ten minutes and he'll shut up."

"I still can't believe you're having him stay here."

"Yes, Rick, I can't either. But we need to keep an eye on the sociopathic weasel, and keeping him here is the best way to do that. Plus, he doesn't have anywhere else to go, and while I don't care, I don't want him to start angry-killing because he feels confused. So until he figures his shit out, we're stuck with him."

"Ugh," is all the man answers.

"Very big ugh," agrees his girlfriend. "So what's the noise? What's his problem?"

"Nightmares? Irritating us? I have no idea."

"If you guys would let me go check on him, I could solve that question."

"No, Y/N, you are not going up there," Damon looks you straight in the eye. "What if it is nightmares? Bonnie's right, he'll snap you in two."

"Only if I startle him."

"You put wayyyy too much faith in someone who's tried to kill everyone in here."

"He's never tried to kill me."

"You're missing the point."

Another few cries. You can't take it anymore.

"If I need help, I'll call out. I need to at least try to calm him down."

"Your funeral," Damon seems to give up on convincing you.

As you wander up the stairs, you hear them talking.

"What does he even have nightmares for? He's probably the cause of most people's nightmares."

"He caused mine for twenty-two years."