Drunk Words Are Sober Thoughts ✨

summary: of course, on the night all your friends are hooking up, you get too drunk to take yourself home. walking home at night, drunk, and in mystic falls is not something on your bucket list, and to make matters worse, you can't help but feel a pair of eyes on you from a distance. so, feeling desperate, you call the contact given to you "for emergencies only," and hope that he shows.

tags: drunk reader, protective kai, drunken confessions, cuddling, fluff

word count: ~2.5k

You lean against the brick wall, exhausted and tipsy from alcohol consumption

You lean against the brick wall, exhausted and tipsy from alcohol consumption. You're not 'tripping over your own feet' drunk, but definitely 'shouldn't drive' drunk. The plan was to stay in the bar until you sobered up, but then Liv started kicking everyone out when the frat boys were becoming too rowdy, leaving you by yourself to make it home. She didn't know that, of course, so you don't blame her, but you can't help but be a little upset by the decision. A bar that advertises to be open late should be open late, right?

Groaning, you check the time. It's a little after midnight. Okay, so I guess it is late. Still though, you're irritated. You walked here in the daytime, and now at night, you have to walk back. You look down the long alleyway, preparing yourself, when suddenly a shadow moves at the end of the street. Did I imagine that? The hairs stand up on the back of your neck, and a chill goes down your spine. An unsafe feeling surrounds you, anxiety making your throat feel tight. Pulling out your phone, you scroll through your contacts for help.

"Elena's with Damon, Caroline's with Stefan, Bonnie's with Jeremy, ugh! All my friends decided to hook up tonight!" You bite your lip. This is why you went out in the first place. "Okay, think: who can I call? Just to walk me home; just to feel a bit safer..." The longer you stand there, the more anxious you feel - as if the shadow's watching, or planning an attack. "Shit, is this stupid?" You mutter out loud, finger hovering over a certain contact.

Kai Parker.

Stefan had you save the witch's number for emergencies only. He was very specific about never contacting him unless you were desperate.

You catch another glimpse of the shadow. "Pretty damn desperate right now." Swallowing hard, you press the call button. The boy picks up after only two rings.

"To what do I owe the pleasure of getting to hear your voice?"

"Are you busy?" Your voice is shaky, but disguising it right now sounds impossible.

"Why? Are you okay? Do you need help?"

The concern in his tone shocks you, "I-um, can you walk me home?"

"Of course. Where are you?"

"Scull Bar. In the alley out back."

"Oh, princess, not the alley. You have to get out, and preferably close to a door."

The pet name gives you butterflies, but you can't focus on that right now, "but the bar is closed."

"Doesn't matter, you'll still be at least a little safer."