drabble #3 - can't help that i love you ✨

summary: while you and kai aren't necessarily in a relationship, no one can ignore the way you are together. it started with kai's nightmares, bringing you to his side for nightly comfort. soon, gentle touches on his back led to full blown hugs and forehead kisses; simple conversation turned to long talks, and you're only getting closer every day. kai feels safe with you, and you're falling for him. maybe he's falling for you, too. this is why your "thing" needs to stop. right now.

tags: fluff, parker siblings meddling in your business, soft!kai

word count: 463

The moment you wake up, you feel a presence in the room with you

The moment you wake up, you feel a presence in the room with you. Flipping onto your back, you focus your eyes on one blurry, exasperated, Luke Parker. He speaks before you can even ask what he wants.

"This thing with Kai needs to stop."

"What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean. Your thing with him - whatever is it."

You internally groan, knowing this day would come.

"You're gay, right?"

"What?"

"Aren't you gay?"

"Yeah, why?"

Without further question, you take off your top to reveal your bare chest, before putting on a bra and a new shirt. You slip on a pair of panties under your sheets, then proceed to walk around the room to find a pair of shorts to wear. Luke half-watches while trying to explain "your thing" with Kai, and why it "needs to stop."

"-just, you're in danger, and you're putting other people in danger, too."

Now dressed, you give him your full attention. "I'm pretty sure I'm one of the only people to ever give him any attention in his life, so how would that put me in danger?"

"Because he's a sociopath and doesn't know what to do with attention. The minute you take it away, you're dead."

"Well I'm not going to 'take it away'." He sighs, but you're not finished. "Listen, Luke, I can't stop feeling what I feel for him. And as long as I..." you pause, getting a taste of your words before saying them, and wondering if you should. Your eyes drop to the floor.

"As long as you...?"

Looking directly at him, you decide to admit it. "As long as I love him, everyone's just a tad bit more safe now, don't you think?"

Love. The word dances in the air above your heads.

Luke is speechless, and doesn't even follow you out of the room. You pat his shoulder on the way out, giving him a small, victorious smile.

Unbeknownst to you, Kai heard the whole conversation. Right before you opened the door, he managed to sneak away unheard.

As soon as you come downstairs, brotherless, he surprises you by wrapping his arms around your waist. His head rests on your shoulder and a deep breath exhales his body.

"Hi, puppy," you greet, kissing his head. "How are you?"

If it's even possible, he melts even more. "Good," he mutters.

"Good. Want some coffee? You can still hug me while I make it."

A contented groan falls from his lips before he can stop it. Part of him expects you to push him away because of it, but instead you just pull him closer for another forehead kiss. As promised, you let him koala-style hug him during your whole coffee-making process. He's never felt more at peace in his life than when he's in your arms.