Sleepless Beneath the Stars

I rise from my bed and make my way out the door, the floor creaking below me. Sleep evades me so there's no point torturing myself. I wander through the Glade aimlessly until I find myself at Newt's hammock.

What am I doing here? I think as I realize where I am. His chest rises and falls gently and his golden blond hair is tousled adorably. He's gorgeous. Newt stirs and I realize what I'm doing. What the shuck? You're watching him sleep! You creep! I chastise myself, turning to leave.

"Y/N?" Newt's groggy voice freezes me in my tracks. "What are you doing?"

What am I doing? What am I doing? What am I doing? I think frantically. "I'm leaving. Sorry."

Newt's warm hand catches my own and he pulls me to face him. I've never been so grateful for the darkness to hide my flushed cheeks. His dark eyes are glazed from grogginess.

"I- I, uh, couldn't sleep. Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you."

He smiles at my embarrassment. "How long have you been standing there watching me?"

I want to melt into the floor.

"I'm just teasing," he chuckles softly. "Since I'm up, might as well keep you company."

Newt slips out of his hammock, bringing his blanket with him. His hand slips into mine. "Where to, luv?"

"I don't care. Thank you, though. For not being upset." I smile even though I'm embarrassed. It's so hard not to smile when Newt's around.

"Well then, let's just get away from all the sleeping boys." He guides me into an empty grassy area near the center of the Glade and plops down, throwing the blanket over our laps.

I rest my head on his shoulder and stare into the sky. "Do you know any constellations?" I ask.

"Well there's the dippers," Newt says, pointing. "And Cassiopeia. Seven sisters are over there."

I lean back. "Where? How can you tell?"

Newt chuckles and lays down, moving his arm closer so I can better see where he's pointing. "You see that little cluster of stars? That's the seven sisters."

"Pretty." I smile. Newt's arm snakes beneath my neck and wraps around me.

"Just like you," he whispers.

I blush and open my mouth to deny it, but Newt puts his finger against my lips to shut me up. Then he leans over and plants kisses on my forehead. The last thing I remember before drifting off into a contented sleep is his voice saying, "I love you, Y/N."

---

"Why's it always me who happens upon you two love-birds love-birding out?"

I moan groggily as Minho prods my cheek. I can vaguely make out Chuck giggling in the background.

"Slim it, Minho!" Newt says. I notice the lack of tiredness in his voice. How long has he been lying awake? "She's sleeping!"

"She was sleeping," I mutter, rolling over and burying my face in Newt's shirt.

"Shuck off!" Newt's chest vibrates as he chastises Minho.

Minho chuckles, clearly unafraid. "Whatever you say, Blondie, but don't expect me to let this one go!"

His laughter fades away as he leaves. "Wouldn't expect any less from you, Minho," I mutter sarcastically.

Newt kisses my head. "How'd you sleep?"

"Never better," I say. It's true.

"Good that."