My Sunshine

*A/N Beware, this part is very sad and I literally cried while writing it. Please don't kill me for this.*

The sound of the bullet revirberates through my being. His figure tumbles to the ground.

"NO!" My heart is wrenched from my chest. I stumble as I clamber out of the truck, cure in hand. "Please, no!" 

Thomas sits of to the side, his head held in his hands as his body shakes with sobs.

"No, Newt don't leave me!" I cry. I fall to my knees in front of Newt's body. His perfect skin is marred by black veins and crimson red blood drips from the bullet wound in his head. He didn't deserve this. He can't die. I won't let him. Please don't let him be dead. "Newt come back to me. Please, come back to me!"

"I'm sorry, Y/N!" Thomas wails. "I couldn't see him like that. He asked me to do it!"

"Shut up!" I scream. "Just shut up! Leave me alone!"

Brenda steps beside me, a single tear falling down her face. "Y/N, it's not like you're the only one hurting. There's no need to get angry."

"I don't care! I don't care! Just leave! LEAVE ME ALONE!" Tears pour down my face like a waterfall, leaving a wet spot on Newt's shirt as I bury my face in it. I don't care. I don't care about anything but him.

I vaguely hear Brenda shooing Thomas away and the door of the car slamming shut. We're finally alone.

"I'm so sorry, Newt," I sob. "I'm so, so sorry. Please don't leave me. I love you. I need you." 

Newt moans and I hush him soothingly. My fingers sweep through Newt's golden hair. The color of sunshine.

My voice breaks, but I sing to him, "You are my sunshine."

Newt chases me through the Glade and tackles me to the ground, playfully angry at me for stealing his shirt. I laugh as he tickles me, demanding I return what is rightfully his.

"My only sunshine."

Newt pushes me behind him as he stabs Grievers in our attempt to escape the Maze. Fear envelops my chest, but he doesn't let anything hurt me. He never lets anything hurt me.

"You make me happy." Teardrops glisten on my cheeks.

Rain drips down my face as I laugh, holding his hands and dancing side to side with him. Newt's expression shifts from one of annoyance to a gruding smile. 

"When skies are-" I breath deeply, my voice cracks in sadness, "-gray."

I sob into Newt's chest, listening to the howls of agony as Thomas mourns Chuck. He was like a baby brother to me. He can't be dead. But he is.

Newt's chest heaves frantically. He's barely alive, but there's still something there. "You only know dear, how much I love you."

My lips remember stolen kisses between me and Newt. The way his hand pressed against my back, gently guiding me into his warmth. His mesmerizing voice confessing his love for me. I don't know how he could love me, but he did. And I loved him too. I love him. Gosh, I love him so much.

"Please don't take- my sunshine- away." The memories fade and I come back to reality. Newt's gone. He's really gone. I pull his body into mine and hug him, possibly for the last time. This can't be real. It can't be. I won't let it.

"Come back to me," I beg. "Please come back."

"Y/N, we have to go," a gentle voice says from behind me.

I whip around to face my companions. "No! I won't leave him! He's not dead! He'll be ok! He'll be ok!" I half sob, half scream.

The footsteps retreat. 

"Why couldn't it be me? It should've been me!" I cry. "Come back to me, Newt. Please. I love you."

I press my lips against him one last time. When I pull away, he pants and his lips crack open to breathe his last, "I love you too, Y/N."

Then his chest falls and his eyes close, never to open again.

I scream, raw and gutteral, in agony. He's gone. He's really gone.

*Credits to @Awkward_Bookworm89 for this idea*