Dancing in the Rain

*A/N I know that it doesn't rain the Glade, this is just an imagine where it does. Thank you Sienna_Banana520 for the idea!*

"Will you all just calm down for one shucking minute?" Newt calls in exasperation as all the Gladers squeezed themselves into the Homestead to stay dry. The soothing pattering of rain and the humid air that it brought with it wafts into the room where I sit behind Newt patiently. "Your hammock will dry so just slim it Adam! Yes, you get the day off but don't goof off too much. This is a privilege and if you can't deal with it, you can spend the night in the Slammer for all I care!"

I giggle softly as Newt scrambles to direct the boys as they freak out about the rain. He turns to face me, expression reflecting his exhaustion and frustration. "It's like they're all children!" He exclaims, sighing and slumping down next to me.

I shrug thoughtfully. "They kind of are."

Someone whoops in excitement and Newt's face is comical mirror of how much he just wants them all to behave and be organized. "Hey," I say gently placing an hand on his shoulder. "It's not your job to keep them all in line. Alby's just coming back from locking up the Map Room and then he'll take over. Let's get somewhere a bit less chaotic."

Newt nods through clenched teeth, knowing I'm right, and follows me out onto the porch where rain drips from the rooftop into the grass. I slip my shoes of and stick them over the edge, letting the precipitation lick my toes.

"Come on! Lighten up, Newtie! This is a gift! We get a day off," I tell Newt pulling him up and out of his stiff position.

He groans but allows himself to be moved to his feet. "I'm not going out there to get wet. That would set a horrible example for the boys and I don't want to sleep with a bunch of wet dogs."

I laugh and ignore his request, guiding him into the grass and letting the water carve rivers on my skin. Newt still looks unamused. I tip my head back and open my mouth.

"What are you doing?" He asks, his dripping wet locks fall into his eyes and I brush them out of the way.

"It's called having fun! You should try it!"

Newt smiles against his will and shakes his head aggressively to shake the water from his hair onto me.

"Hey!" I giggle. "C'mon, let's dance!"

I tug him by the hand further into the rain. "I can't dance."

"Yet," I frown. "I'll teach you."

He raises his eyebrow in question, causing me to laugh again. I take both his hands in mine and start jumping side to side in a clumsy dance that ends with both of us laughing. We run barefoot through the Glade, splashing in the puddles like children, but I don't care. In a world where our childhoods were stolen, I might as well make the memories I've lost.

At last, the excitement melts away into exhaustion and gentleness. Newt wraps his arms around me, pulling me into the warmth of his body. I rest my head on his shoulder and we sway side to side, rain trickling over our face. The gentle beat of droplets pattering on the ground guides us in our timid dance. Our lips meet and the kiss is wet and gentle, full of love that has no other way to express itself. I want nothing more but to stay in the moment for all eternity, but all good things must come to and end and the rain fades into a light sprinkle that eventually disappears, leaving the droplets sparkling in an arch of color that seems eerily familiar. As if I'd seen the exact rainbow before, but that's not possible, right?