A True Catalan

It's been 2 months, 2 months in which I adored spending time with Davi and Caro, Pedri, Gavi, Raphinha and Araujo. I've been doing my job at the cafe, having dinner with the Torres' family when I got the chance. Me and Pedri have been spending even more time together, sneaking out at night and walking around the city, having picnics and renting out kids playgrounds. We kind of managed to stay hidden from the public eye, not because we were hooking up but because we wanted to keep our friendship intact. I've become a Barcelona loyal supporter, going to the matches and sometimes watching them train, as the boys have been pressuring Xavi in letting me do so. And even though I still wanted to keep to myself and not try to replace PSG with Barca, I've only been so involved so I can also get on Xavi's nerves.

It was now 7:30am and I was driving towards the training centre. I've become such an usual there, that I find it such a routine now.

And truth is, I kind of missed it.

***

I walked into the training centre, greeting the woman from the reception and nodding at the two bodyguards that almost escorted me out during my time trying to visit Gavi.

I walked straight to the pitch, the players already warming up. Raphinha is the first one to see me, so he sprinted towards me, Gavi, Pedri and Araujo following closely behind.

'Bon dia!' I smiled.

'A true Catalan.' Raphinha said sarcastically, throwing an arm around my shoulders.

'You don't even speak it yourself.' I said grabbing his arm and taking it off of my shoulders. 'So I don't see the need for the judgement.' I said hitting him playfully.

'You've been spending so much time with us, I don't get how you haven't learned it.' Pedri said shaking his head, smiling.

'Maybe because you guys speak English?' I laughed. 'Which for by the way, you should actually pay me.' I pointed my fingers at all of them. 'I've been like a teacher for you.'

'Actually Irina, we've been speaking English before you got here.' Gavi said like a princess, flicking his non existent long hair.

'Can you guys please leave her alone?' Araujo said, stepping in front of me like a shield. 'I don't want her to start crying.' he said quietly, but loud enough for me to hear.

Everyone started laughing, including myself. I pushed him playfully, a small 'fight' breaking out, which was very unfair as it was 4 against 1.

Our fun was abruptly stopped by Xavi's thick accent. 'Miss Irina, it's always a pleasure to see you.' he said with a sarcastic tone.

'I know, right?' I smiled. 'I'm just like a breath of fresh air. A window of light in a room full of darkness.' I said dramatically.

The boys had their heads down, quietly giggling, but also scared of their coach.

'Are you here to distract my boys?' he asked looking at me.

'Are you here to finally ban me?' I smiled.

After a moment of silence, Xavi chuckled. 'You boys get to training. Now.' he looked at them, the boys doing as he instructed, but not before saying bye to me and Pedri winking at me. 'I see you get along with them. Are they all your friends?' he asked, his eyes on the players.

'Yes.' I nodded my head. 'I've known Raphinha the longest. I met him through...' I paused for a second. 'Through some mutual friends.'

'Yeah, he keeps on telling the boys that.' Xavi shook his head. 'More like rubbing it in their faces.' he laughed.

'Yeah, that does sound like something he'll do.' I smiled.

***

After another moment of silence, with both of us just watching the boys run laps around the pitch, Xavi keeps fidgeting and shifting from one leg to the other.

'Are you okay?' I asked, my expression a bit worried.

'No.' Xavi turned his head towards me.

'Do you... maybe... want to talk about it?' I shrugged my shoulders.

'My social media creator isn't in today. He's sick. And he called me 10 minutes before he was meant to start work.'

Please don't let it be what I think it is, please don't let it be what I think it is.

'And after a little bird told me and well... after some of my research...' he paused. 'I know you used to be a social media manager. And a great one from what I've seen.'

'Mr. Hernandez, are you asking for my help?' I said smugly.

'You know the boys quite well and they seem to like you and you know what you're doing. It's only for today and tomorrow.' he rushed through his words. 'Could you do that? We'll even pay you.'

'I don't need you to pay me.' I smiled. 'Where's the phone?'

He reached out into his pocket and took out the work phone. He let out a sigh and handed it to me. 'Thank you.' he said quietly. 'Thank you.'

I smiled and opened the camera, a sense of joy taking over.

It's been so long since I've done this. It's been so long since I was genuinely doing something I loved.