Chapter 6

Night snapped the book closed, clearing his throat and swallowing compulsively. He caressed the cover before holding it out for Tarra. The Chosen smiled as she quietly took it from him and placed it in her lap. He sniffled and leaned his head back, blinking away the light-bending moisture in his eyes.

"Dad? Are you okay?" Ace asked, his voice quiet over the sounds of Last Meal.

Night coughed. "Yeah. I'm fine." He pretended that his words were true and tackled his food. He felt Ace eying him, knowing his lie was as transparent as plastic wrap.

"So... what's that book?" his son asked around a mouthful.

Tarra smiled at him sweetly. "It's the record of your sire's life."

"Really?" Ace's fork paused for a moment mid-air. "His whole life?"

"Well, not all in one volume. This is but one book. There are many, many more."

Night scowled. Being angry was easier than... whatever else he was trying to feel. "There shouldn't be any books at all."

"Technically," Lassiter raised a finger, "I believe being Forgotten included having your books removed from the library shelves. The curse doesn't specify that they be destroyed." He sipped his coffee as he wagged his eyebrows at Night.

I hate this guy, Night decided. "Yeah, well, it does specify that I am to be Forgotten. And yet," he made a grand gesture toward Lassiter, "here we are."

The angel nodded as he pushed his last bit of french toast through the pool of syrup on his plate. "True, true. But, you were forgotten. By many. In fact, by all," he nodded at Tarra and Ace, "except her, him, and Hatrhed. That seems pretty close to legal to me."

Night's brow furrowed. "Hatrhed? Who is that?"

Tarra paused, and Night knew her words would be important. "Hatrhed, also first known as Rhoze and then as Blade," was all she offered.

Night eyes opened wide. "Rhoze?"

Tarra nodded. "The Scribe Virgin allowed her to remember. She hasn't mentioned your name in decades."

Night clenched his jaw. "Was my name removed from the Wall, at least? Or was that left for the Brothers to point to whenever they needed an example of a—"

Tarra placed her cool hand on Night's arm. "Stop. I know where you are going with that, and it's time you stop."

He exhaled sharply, his anger short-circuited by her touch. No one had been able to do that to him except Fleur.

Fleur. The memory of her laughing green eyes jumped into his mind. He pulled away from Tarra, guilt settling on him. He hadn't deserved Fleur then, and he didn't deserve Tarra now. As if there were a chance, anyway.

Tarra sighed and resumed eating.

Ace swung his head from his sire to Tarra, Lassiter, and back. "Will someone please explain? What do you mean, 'Forgotten,' and what Brothers?"

"Wait. You didn't tell this one, either?" Lassiter asked, one brow arching in surprise. "Are you that stupid?"

Night narrowed his eyes before letting his fork clatter to the table and throwing his napkin on his plate. He stood, shoving back the chair hard enough that it threatened to go off-kilter. He stalked off, leaving the three of them behind.

Ace scrambled to follow him. "Dad! Wait! Talk to me."

Night grabbed the fireplace poker and stabbed at the logs of the dwindling fire, making room for the next two pieces of firewood. He felt Ace's stare on his back and heard him sink into the leather sofa behind him. He wasn't ready to face a second son leaving. He stood, leaned on the mantle, and rubbed his chest.