Chapter 17

Hatrhed watched the exchange between Phury, Night, and the Chosen she didn't know. Night looked positively miserable, and she could guess why. Clearly, he was attracted to the Chosen, but either she had rebuffed him, or he didn't feel he could pursue. She texted Nayah.

Who is the Chosen that came with us to Caldwell?

Nayah responded, Her name is Tarra. Word is that she's been watching Night all these centuries in secret as ordered by the Scribe Virgin.

Hatrhed's eyebrow lifted. What's made it not-so-secret now?

Mehnace's transition. It will happen soon, and they have no community.

Night has been feeding on humans?

I guess so.

Not a good plan for Ace, Hatrhed typed.

Certainly not.

I'll be staying here for the day, as will Night and Ace. Have Ehmily fix up a couple of rooms for them for when we come home.

Already have! 😁

Smiling, Hatrhed switched gears, texting both Nayah and Tristan. I miss you two.

Tristan replied first. I miss you, too. Though, sleeping with Nayah isn't chump change.

Nayah added, I love you. Will you give Tristan permission to fuck me? 😉

Hatrhed felt heat spread through her body. Only if you wait until I'm free so I can listen.

Tristan's response was immediate. Thank you, Ma'am!

She chuckled. You're welcome, Tristan. I'll call later, but it might be a couple of hours.

Smiling, she slipped her phone back into her pocket as Jane caught her attention. "Hey, Hatrhed? You got a minute?"

"Sure!" Hatrhed liked Jane. Not only was she volunteering her time to help the Colony face the impending young boom, she was also V's mate. Hatrhed and V had shared an intense SM scene the last time she was in Caldwell, and the two of them had become friends, of a sort. She was glad to help him get his head sorted out when neither Butch nor Jane thought they could.

Jane looked nervous. "Do you think we could go into the library?"

"Umm... yeah. This sounds serious. Is anything wrong?" She had a moment of panic. "Are the young okay?"

"What?" Jane frowned until she realized what she was asking. "Oh! No, the Colony's young are all doing well. No, I just want to talk to you in private," she looked in her mate's direction where he played pool with Butch, "about V."

Hatrhed closed the door after them when they entered the library and sat in the chair as Jane picked a place on the sofa. "So, what's going on?"

"Well, Butch and I have been talking, and I've been giving it a lot of thought." Jane took a breath and blurted, "I want to learn to top V. Like you top V."

Hatrhed raised an eyebrow. "You mean you want to learn to hurt him."

Jane nodded. "Yes. I want to be able to do that for him."

Hatrhed paused, a sinking feeling in her gut. It was too good to last. She looked at the woman before her, anxious but genuinely interested in being what her mate needed. She plastered on a smile and hoped Jane believe her faux enthusiasm. "I think that would mean everything to V."

The Doc let out a huge breath. "Oh, thank you. I was afraid that we might fight."

Hatrhed held up her hands. "Hey, you're possessive of your mate. I totally get that, and I wouldn't ever want to come between the two of you. So, what do you think we should do?"